The Prepper’s Guide to Securing Your Home

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

The Prepper’s Guide to Securing Your Home

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: The Prepper’s Guide to Securing Your Home

Post by David »

We have installed the Strike Plate on our front door and door leading to the garage. Took about a minute or less and by all accounts looks to be a very sturdy security device that would allow you extra time in order to effect your home security plan i.e. call 911, retrieve a defensive firearm, locate family members, get into a secure location etc.

www.Strikeplatelock.com

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

We just changed all the locks of the new house and added deadbolts where needed. All have extended screws. The house has a security system, but we don't have a code and the company no longer does systems. We may get a Simplisafe to replace it or supplement it. The system still chimes when a door is opened or a motion sensor is triggered in one of the garages so the current system still has some functionality.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Much like cars - solid basic maintenance is key: Doors & Windows in good repair, looks tip top. Fences in good shape. Lighting well maintained and properly set up. Have an alarm, and make sure it is advertised.

Doing those things ALONE will make your house supremely uninviting to most uninvited. Before you go to ultra-tech excessive Green Beret approaches....handl;e the basic things first.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

My car was burglarized again. Took two pair of glasses, note pad, a few dollars, the treasure trove of fast food franchise discount coupons. All of the good stuff was secured/locked and out of any view. In the process of reporting, I learned that two other neighbors within two blocks had had their cars burglarized. My sister had hers done a few months ago. Such is the consequence of allowing meth addicts to live on the streets. One neighbor with Ring records 4 months ago a gang trying all the cars on the block at 4 am.

The house itself is as secure as can be done. If the dog had been at the house last night, it would have been barking.
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Further update. The car burglars wear masks - so your $100 Ring unit does not discourage them. A house around the corner has 9 video cameras - cleaned out in 15 minutes a while back. Then, another neighbor informs me that there have been some 30 car and home burglaries in area recently.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Proper lighting around ones home/property can and is an effective deterrent. And with today's LED bulbs, it costs pennies to light up the night all night.

We have motion detector lights in front and in the back of our home. And the ones in front, on the garage/driveway, come on at dusk at 25% and stay at 25% all night unless motion is detected and then they jump to 100% for 5-10 minutes. Additionally, we will usually keep a random light on inside the house all night.

Part of the layered defense approach.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

You really want to just slow intruders down AND see them so you can get the shotgun :)
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:06 am You really want to just slow intruders down AND see them so you can get the shotgun :)
That is my thoughts with proper lighting and the Strikeplate. The Strikeplate will slow down entry into the home. It requires a lot of noise to be made in order to defeat it. The same with smashing a window. All will necessitate noise. This does two things; first, it alerts you to the problem and allows you the opportunity to take action. Depending on the amount of time, you can activate 911 to get the calvalry on the way. It can allow you to get to your HD weapon and take an advantageous position of defense. Second, it may alert neighbors who will hopefully be close enough and proactive enough to investigate and/or report a problem. Lighting will hopefully deter a problem which is the best case scenario.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Overt usu is better over covert to stop something from happening.

Lighting good, cameras as needed... but always better to have and not need over opposite.

Also, My alarm system has two wireless panic buttons... one by front door and one in bedroom.
They can be pulled off ( velcro ) and taken if needed.
Currently only hard wired to phone but going to add a cell backup down the road... either way the outdoor siren and a strobe on house roof go off when the panic is triggered.
Police here have about a 5 min response time, so pretty good for area.
You can't fix stupid !