axe/hatchet/walking stick modifications

A section for all the tweaks done and available to our toys.
bdcochran

axe/hatchet/walking stick modifications

Post by bdcochran »

Modifications that I do - and why.

1. Modifying walking sticks/hatchets/axes/ garden implements by drilling a hole in the handle and installing 550 cord.
I drill a hole through the handle, about 1 inch from the end. I do not know the proper terminology of the bit. I will taper the hole drilled through the handle on both sides so that 550 cord can be gradually run out of the hole. Then, I place 550 cord through the hole.
Why? I don't want to put tools on the ground so that they might get stepped on, wet, or dirty. I want to be able to hang the tool on a hook, a branch, and possibly an easy to reach location.
This week, I did this to my walking sticks that did not already have the set up. I also used . . . drum roll . . . PAM spray to lubricate the walking sticks. The sticks can have a rubberized end point and/or a combination rubber point with an arrow shappd end like an alpine ferrule.

2. On the garden tools, I put a layer of electrician tape on the handle and a separate layer of tennis racket tape on the top. No need to wear gloves to protect the hands from splinters. No need to regularly have to lubricate wood handles to keep them from drying out. No more sweaty hands in the summer time.
aerynsun

Re: axe/hatchet/walking stick modifications

Post by aerynsun »

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6410U-5-8-i ... /203334065

I use the above for a walking stick. You can find them made of heavy and strong wood.

You can stain them, add a rubber tip and I add a kitchen cabinet door knob to the top. For the door knob, cut off the head of the screw, drill a hole in the top, add wood glue and put the screw and knob in. I carry it often because I got tired of being attacked by dogs.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: axe/hatchet/walking stick modifications

Post by Mac66 »

aerynsun wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:14 pm https://www.homedepot.com/p/6410U-5-8-i ... /203334065

I use the above for a walking stick. You can find them made of heavy and strong wood.

You can stain them, add a rubber tip and I add a kitchen cabinet door knob to the top. For the door knob, cut off the head of the screw, drill a hole in the top, add wood glue and put the screw and knob in. I carry it often because I got tired of being attacked by dogs.
That's a great idea.