Preps to the rescue!

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Preps to the rescue!

Post by Mac66 »

When I was up at the new house last weekend my wife called and said the power was out at home and it was starting to get cold. I ran through her options. Two Mr. Heater propane heaters (one large, one smaller) in the garage. Two kerosene heaters (one large, one smaller) in the shed. Normally I would have gotten out the big kero heater but it is kind of big and heavy for her to drag out of the shed and across the yard. I suggested the larger of the two propane heaters. Once we talked about it, she located it, got it hooked up and fired it up. About 15 minutes later she called back and said the power was back on.

When I got home I put both kero heaters on the patio outside the family room. They are covered by an awning and will be readily available for future use. She could have also built a fire in the fireplace as I have wood stacked on the patio but the propane and/or kero heaters are the best option initially.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Glad I carry a small power pack in the EDC sling bag. Wife needed it for her phone yesterday while doing some video of the concrete being poured. Not an 'urgent' prep but it sure has come in useful a bunch of times. And a prep that could be an 'urgent' piece of gear in certain situations.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I think the most used item in my EDC is the ibuprofen. Seems like no matter where you are at someone needs some.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Use my new ankhers all the time.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

So I posted in the Lights section but it's applicable to this thread as well.

Had a situation today where the blinky functions came in very handy. My son called and said he was having an issue with his car not steering smoothly so I met up with him. The power steering was out so I figured the belt had broke (had plenty of fluid). Only about 30 minutes from the house so I figured I'd try to drive it home (I grew up on manual steering vehicles). Anyway, got 10 minutes from the house and the car died. Figure the belt that broke also ran the alternator and other stuff. Car died at a light. Hazard lights wouldn't even work. So I'm stuck in one of the two left hand turn lanes on a busy road and can't put on my flashers. Raised up the hood of course and had a couple of flashlights with strobe that I put on the roof of the car pointing backwards. Called AAA and got it towed home without issue.

So having a couple of lights with a strobe came in useful and of course AAA is a big plus as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Excellent move! Gotta remember that.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The small IFAK in my sling bag came in handy. We were out and about and the wife got a headache. Luckily I had some aspirin in a small pill case in my sling bag. Not 'earth shattering' or anything but it's nice when your 'preps' come in handy.

:)