Preps to the rescue!

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Bob
Board Founder

Preps to the rescue!

Post by Bob »

Let's hear about actually using your preps. I am a firm believer that store and forget is a terrible policy. I get my preps to make life better all the time. That means that I will get in a bag, box, or supply at any time to use something if I need it. This is like "What have you done this week" except in reverse! What have you USED this week?

Last night - I was out of milk. That is until I remembered I keep a box of powdered in the house! No need for late night trip to the store. I also have long term powdered milk stores.

I also charged a phone this weekend using my car battery backup. Why? Because that's why it is there. New Ankar power brick was excellent.

Girlfriend and myself both hit the long term pantry shelf for some Spaghetti O's. Why? Because didn't want to cook. Not the best thing, but again, they are there to be used when needed. Once 12 are gone, I get a new palette.

* Using the food caused me to avoid extra trips to the store, kept food rotating, avoided need for excess perishables.
* Battery was just convenient. I was able to stay charged and stay in contact. Yes - my car could charge my phone, but I wanted to test the brick. Now I know how well it works.

How about you? When have you used a tool, or something from your stash in a beneficial way?
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: Preps to the rescue!

Post by tom mac »

Recently used my Plug&Go tire repair kit from my car.... typical nail in neighbors tire. He jacked up the car, talked him thru using it. Saved the day!

As to food, we use our canned items almost every day from the storage rack which auto rotates ( put in top, take out bottom). I keep a list of used items checked off so they get replaced at the next costco trip
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I normally have two AAA flashlights on me. One on my car key chain (Fenix E05) and one on my 'survival' key chain (Thrunight TiS). I've recently been carrying my Nitecore EC11 as well. And I've been using it quite a bit lately. Often we're out at the new property and the sun goes down while we're there. The flashlight, particularly the EC11 has been coming in quite handy. Used it last night as a matter of fact.

Just a bit back my wife cut her finger pretty good while we were at the property. Out comes the IFAK in my Maxpedition Lunada sling bag. Got her patched up in a jiffy.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

tom mac wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:16 am Recently used my Plug&Go tire repair kit from my car.... typical nail in neighbors tire. He jacked up the car, talked him thru using it. Saved the day!

I assume you have a small compressor too?
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I do, and it’s come in quite handy.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Bob wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:51 pm
tom mac wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:16 am Recently used my Plug&Go tire repair kit from my car.... typical nail in neighbors tire. He jacked up the car, talked him thru using it. Saved the day!

I assume you have a small compressor too?
Yes... carry one in each vehicle and also on the motorcycle.... Slime brand pump for 12v pretty small, take about 5+ mins to bring the last tire up.
They have saved multi people over the years.
( exp on the motorcycle where you cant carry a spare... the need for a patch kit and air is required )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 am They have saved multi people over the years.
They have indeed. I've used the repair kit once myself. The kit that has the plug strips and the glue. It worked exceptionally well. And really, those kits and the small compressors are inexpensive preps that are easy to toss into a vehicle and don't take up a lot of space. Well worth it.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Tires comments:
1. Most of my flats express themselves in the morning. For years, I kept a spare tire on a rim in the shade in the driveway. When I bought my current car, that option was out. My car is now 16 years old and a used rim is over $100 - and my car is not fancy.
2. I have the small tire kits - and never used them.
3. I have Costco which fixes my flats for free.
4. I am urban and now have AAA for road service.
5. Our local area has free tire changes by the government on the freeway - cut down on deaths.
6. Cars only. There is a code on each of your tires which informs when the tire was made. The recommendation is to NOT use a tire more than 4 years old as tires will naturally rot. If your car goes on a lift, either have the mechanic or yourself look for foreign objects and wear. Don't be one of those people who go to the customer reception area and drink coffee. I had a friend who was an administrative law judge who took his car into a local dealership for the 500 mile oil change. He went for the coffee instead of standing outside. The mechanic crashed the car and the dealer then tried to say he brought in the car damaged.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

When I was in my early twenties I worked with a roofing crew that was comprised entirely of Mormons (except me). They were explaining their beliefs to me and the foreman told me about the practice of keeping a two year stock of food and supplies on hand.

He told me a story of a friend of his who asked him for a loan to buy some groceries because he was out of a job. The foreman asked him about his two year supply and the guy said " That's for hard times." To which the foreman replied "What do you think these are?"

That lesson has stayed with me my entire life
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Excellent story.

My neighbor growing up was Morman. we used to ride big wheels in the basement and get into the peanut butter in the stores.