Camp Stoves

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Camp Stoves

Post by Gnepig »

What does everyone have to cook/boil water on?- You know, for coffee, tea or to rehydrate that favorite Mountain House hiker meal.

What are your thoughts for an optimum stove setup for camping, hiking or even survival? Butane? Alcohol? Sticks?

Looking for some lightweight ideas for long hikes to medium ideas for groups, what do you have, want, need/seen?...

Gene
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Re: Camp Stoves

Post by Mac66 »

I have a one burner propane Coleman stove which I've had for 20+ years. I've used it backpacking and as an adult leader in the Boy Scouts. The stove and 1lb tank are kind of heavy for backpacking but lasts a week or more when just heating up food/water. It is not as small as some of the micro butane or white gas stoves but it is handy and fuel can be found anywhere. It is good for more than one person as you can split up the weight between the stove and tank. It can use the big 20lb tanks as well as 1 lb, and the 1lb tanks can be refilled. I carry it in my vehicle's get home kit and primarily use it now for tailgating and for car camping. The stove itself nests inside the pot I use so it's handy from that standpoint. I'll dig it out and take photos of it if anyone is interested.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Yes, interested, sounds like an easy efficient setup.
... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I like to go old school with the folding camp stoves.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/product ... camp-stove

I can't remember the name these type of stoves are called? Anyway, I like them along with my DIY fuel tabs or DIY alcohol burner.

Edited to add: It's the Esbit stove :D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Also check out the penny can stoves: http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66&p=266#p266
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've used the penny can and esbit stoves a couple times.
the penny can stove is finnicky and doesn't work in any kind of breeze. The esbit works okay but won't heat up a lot of water very quickly and doesn't work well in cold weather, just doesn't kick out enough BTUs to heat anything larger than a cup of coffee.

Here's my Coleman...It's a model 5450a700. I checked and they don't make them anymore but they do make one that screws onto the top of the fuel bottle . They also make duel fuel single burner stoves that work with both butane and propane.

The blue tape on the fuel bottle means it's been refilled with an adapter from a large tank.

Inside the pot...

It also came with a stand to lean the fuel bottle on. Not sure why it wasn't in the pot with the stove. Gonna have to go look for it.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Mac66 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:07 pm I've used the penny can and esbit stoves a couple times.
the penny can stove is finnicky and doesn't work in any kind of breeze. The esbit works okay but won't heat up a lot of water very quickly and doesn't work well in cold weather, just doesn't kick out enough BTUs to heat anything larger than a cup of coffee.

Here's my Coleman...It's a model 5450a700. I checked and they don't make them anymore but they do make one that screws onto the top of the fuel bottle . They also make duel fuel single burner stoves that work with both butane and propane.

The blue tape on the fuel bottle means it's been refilled with an adapter from a large tank.

Inside the pot...

It also came with a stand to lean the fuel bottle on. Not sure why it wasn't in the pot with the stove. Gonna have to go look for it.

Wow, That thing is cool! I'm betting that 1 lb bottle lasts pretty long also. This one would be great for cooking real food on/ variable heat for simmering or stir frying.

I've just bought one of those adapters to refill the 1 pounders from the gas grill tank.

... Just a Dude...
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

David wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:44 pm I like to go old school with the folding camp stoves.

I can't remember the name these type of stoves are called? Anyway, I like them along with my DIY fuel tabs or DIY alcohol burner.

I like Daves Old School Esbit folding stove= fits in the pocket. I have made coffee on it with the trioxane fuel tabs, have not tried it with sticks yet tho. If you made your penny stove short enough, you might be able to use it with the Esbit stove as a pot holder making it a multi fuel burner.

... Just a Dude...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Gnepig wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:30 am
David wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:44 pm I like to go old school with the folding camp stoves.

I like Daves Old School Esbit folding stove= fits in the pocket. I have made coffee on it with the trioxane fuel tabs, have not tried it with sticks yet tho. If you made your penny stove short enough, you might be able to use it with the Esbit stove as a pot holder making it a multi fuel burner.

Bet you the Fancy Feast cat can stove would work as well.

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I believe I am the groups King of the Esbit. Actually have two...nearly cooked-out my first!

Anyway -

Esbit
Jet Boil
Coleman two-burner camp stove
55k BTU Turkey cooker
Grillmaster 4 burner plus warmer grill