Camp Stoves

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Re: Camp Stoves

Post by Gnepig »

I very much like your stove collection Bob, you have the one is none thing going on= good idea. The Jetboil is super convenient, nothin like gitt'n that cup of coffee done super fast on a cold morning... I think I remember you using that Esbit stove a couple of times.

I don't remember what the brand of this one is but it is awesome and fast, I use this one for weekend camping =just too fast and efficient not to have one:

This one I reserve for long distance/ extended time out and light weight or possible survival camping:

This one is the Emberlit Fireant, folds up small enough to fit in the pocket, is made of titanium so it weighs almost nothing and is multi fuel.
Runs on fuel tabs, alcohol or just sticks.

It worked better than I thought with the fuel tabs= rolling boiled 8 oz of water in 7min and kept boiling until 10 minutes.

With 1 oz of denatured alcohol, achieved rolling boil in 5 min 30 sec and kept boiling until 12 min.

The sticks didn't bring the 8oz to a boil until 8 minutes but kept a boil for a real long time as i pushed the sticks into the stove and produced a minimal amount of ash.

I say a survival stove because when all of the fuel tabs and alcohol runs out, you will always have the woods... As long as you can still start a fire.

... Just a Dude...
christoph

Post by christoph »

MSR wisperlite from the early 90's still works like new.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

christoph wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm MSR wisperlite from the early 90's still works like new.
That's pretty good longevity for this type of equipment.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
ActiveAl

Post by ActiveAl »

David, how do you make the DIY fuel tabs mentioned in your post above? How do they compare to trioxane tabs? Thanks!

Anybody ever use a burner made from rolled up cardboard placed in a tuna can and filled with wax? We used to call them "Buddy Burners."
As a youth, I used this type of burner to melt-down lead bullets picked up at an uncontrolled firing range. For a pan, I used a tin can. When done, I had to cut the can away. Then I would sell the "lead pucks" to a local hardware store. This was awhile back.

On a whim, I recently made a couple more Buddy Burners - but haven't used them yet.

In my hurricane kit I have a Coleman propane camping stove:
and a Coleman butane counter-top stove:
David
Administrator

Post by David »

ActiveAl wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:06 pm David, how do you make the DIY fuel tabs mentioned in your post above? How do they compare to trioxane tabs? Thanks!

Anybody ever use a burner made from rolled up cardboard placed in a tuna can and filled with wax? We used to call them "Buddy Burners."
As a youth, I used this type of burner to melt-down lead bullets picked up at an uncontrolled firing range. For a pan, I used a tin can. When done, I had to cut the can away. Then I would sell the "lead pucks" to a local hardware store. This was awhile back.

On a whim, I recently made a couple more Buddy Burners - but haven't used them yet.

In my hurricane kit I have a Coleman propane camping stove:
and a Coleman butane counter-top stove:
http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=7&t= ... 66b7776561

I use the egg cartons with dryer lint, cotton rounds and wax. In that thread you’ll see my video of the boiling pot. Lasts around 10 minutes. Good burn time and a good amount of flame. The store bought burn cleaner but I think the DIY is better overall and can be made for pennies, literally. I like to repurpose stuff like the egg carton and dryer lint that would be tossed out. And a little dirt cleans off the soot from the cup or pan so I don’t mind it burning dirty.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

The good ole trusty Esbit stove.

Love these little stoves and they are simple, practical, easy and inexpensive. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They can be small, light and compact as well.

https://www.amazon.com/UST-Lightweight- ... 84&sr=8-13

maypo59

Post by maypo59 »

I have had an Esbit since 1977. Bought during my first tour of Germany when I discovered that C Rats sucked cold, and tankers rarely had a decent way, or time to heat them. I could set that thing right on my driver's vision block cover, (M60A1 MBT) and it practically locked in place. Still carry it and use it for short day hikes, etc.
Coleman Peak 1, first generation, single burner, white gas, gets all the just me, or me and a buddy duties on longer trips.
Ancient "D" model 2 burner white gas Coleman I inherited from my grand father 30 years ago does the big group duties.

Most of my camp cookery now takes place in a campground with our travel trailer, so, 3 burner gas range indoors, 2 burner outdoors cook top, Blackstone propane griddle, and finally, a GMG Davy Crockett smoker..

Biscuits, at a mile high.. LOL

Last edited by maypo59 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

maypo59 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 pm I have had an Esbit since 1977.
There you go right there! These things are, imo, simply a best bang for the buck.

aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Gnepig wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:23 am .
What does everyone have to cook/boil water on?- You know, for coffee, tea or to rehydrate that favorite Mountain House hiker meal.

What are your thoughts for an optimum stove setup for camping, hiking or even survival? Butane? Alcohol? Sticks?

Looking for some lightweight ideas for long hikes to medium ideas for groups, what do you have, want, need/seen?...
Gene
Sealed Canister stoves are greatly affected by altitude and cold but are small and lite.

Alcohol doesn't generate enough heat in freezing/cold temps.

Sticks burning in a WROL situation create smoke and smell that give away your position.

Check this out - it checks off most of the boxes.
https://www.amazon.com/MSR-WhisperLite- ... B005I6OWEG
David
Administrator

Post by David »

For general or even short term emergency use that would work great. Long term I like the little stoves, like the Esbit, that can use any fuel source that's handy.