Camp Stoves

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
aerynsun

Re: Camp Stoves

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:52 pm For general or even short term emergency use that would work great. Long term I like the little stoves, like the Esbit, that can use any fuel source that's handy.
If you just want to burn wood go with this.

https://removeandreplace.com/2014/04/10 ... offee-can/
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Yep, the trusty ole 'hobo' stove. I also make cat can stoves and penny stoves. Love those little things and it's great to re-purpose something.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I still can't stop thinkin about that groovy tuna can with the wad of wax soaked cardboard in it... Gotta try that one next.

I have the Esbit folding stove and haven't used it very much. After watching Dude make the sausage and eggs, I've gotta try that too- maybe butter that biscuit and toast it a little and dig out the inside so all of the eggs and sausage fit- looks like tasty fun...

Have a couple of those counter top butane stoves and cooked breakfast on one a few times= good tool and only 20 bucks at Wmart/2 bucks for fuel.

The Whisperlite looks very useful, I would try one, would be great for a group or car camping.
... Just a Dude...
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

... I've had this in my cart for awhile:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camping- ... 182&sr=8-1

Has a lot of good reviews, might be my next stove.

Anybody had one yet? Love/hate/other? It kinda looks like one in a previous post here. Does Coleman still make good stuff?
... Just a Dude...
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

Ok so the suspense was killing me, looks like I'll be reviewing this for myself. Amazon was awesome, it got here in 2 days with free shipping.
Used the white gas/camp fuel from Wmart, followed directions and it fired right up, it took a few minutes to warm up and settle into a fine blue flame. From what little bit that I've gotten to play with this I really like it. Can't wait to cook with it!

... Just a Dude...
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Those are good stoves. The reason most backpackers don't carry them is that there are lighter weight options.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Gene -

Absolutely on One is none.

Grill down? Coleman.
Coleman out? Jetboil.
Jet boil done? Esbit.

I have a MAxpedition bag I keep the jetfoil and an Esbit in. Molle's right on to my pack or wherever.
DustyJacket

Post by DustyJacket »

Kelly Kettle
Our old trees shed limbs and twigs every day so I have enough fuel.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

DustyJacket wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:44 am Kelly Kettle
Our old trees shed limbs and twigs every day so I have enough fuel.
One of the things I was so amazed at was the amount of 'stuff' that falls in the forest. During out SEP gatherings I'd lay in my hammock during the night and listen to all the branches, leaves, twigs and whatever falling.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

This came in the mail today:

It is larger than I expected it to be but so are these pictures- Holy Crap! These pics are showing almost the exact size...

This is the Battlebox camp cookware set: https://www.amazon.com/BATTLBOX-Piece-C ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
This looks and feels pretty stout like it will last a couple of life times of hard use and is also multi fuel, uses alcohol and sticks. This was not a lot of money so I figured I'd give it a try.

I will try it out tonight with some soup and tea...

... Just a Dude...