Your EDC light

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
bdcochran

Re: Your EDC light

Post by bdcochran »

I agree. My problem is that every time an improvement came out, I bought more key chain lights!

I have ended up gifting lights like Photon 1 to relatives at birthdays or holidays for their cars and key chains. Still, years later, I have a bunch. I would buy some i3t or i5t, but I must finish giving away the older potential keychain lights.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

My EDC is Olight M2R Warrior. It is in my pocket every time I leave the house. I have Olight Seeker 2 in the SUV. I also have a i1R on the keychain.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I have three families of young relatives with kids 200 miles away. I count on either their parents or them coming by at some time. Today, I did the gift package bags. Basically, it is books, new folding knives and most importantly flashlights. The basic flashlight is an SK68 1 AA battery unit witha 4 pack of batteries in a zip log bag. Easy to put in a car glove box. Tomorrow, I will remember to get the plastic house flashlights from the garage and give each family one.

I did get a thank you note from a brother who was stranded with his car at night and used the little SK68 that I had given him to put in his glove box.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I've started to carry the EC11 in the pocket when leaving the house. Came in handy the other night when we went back out to the property. Disappears in the pocket but a real rocket on turbo.

It just has all the features I really like such as beacon, strobe and SOS for emergency situations while having a really high high and a really low low. The red is nice but I haven't yet had a lot of need for it.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

My everyday light is a Fenix RC05SE. Apparently the SE is a special order for REI. It has the tail cap switch as opposed to a button on the side. It also remembers the last brightness setting that you used.

It's 4 inches long, just a little bit more than 5/8 in outer diameter. It has a clip but I can't really speak one way or the other about it because I never use it I just carry it in my pocket.

This is what Fenix has to say about it

The Fenix RC05 SE (Special Edition) rechargeable flashlight is built off the popular Fenix RC05. This special edition adds a tactical rear switch for on/off and momentary use. By adding the rear switch it transforms the light into our more popular two switch system, allowing the user to turn on from the rear switch and choose mode from side switch. All the other attractive features of the RC05 were kept like the innovative magnetic charging port. From a single 14500 rechargeable Li-ion battery (included), this flashlight emits a maximum 300 lumens a distance of almost 300 feet. This compact flashlight is very small and light weight, and its two-position clip allows you to easily clip it to your gear or onto your hat for hands-free use. The IP68 rating, which means it is both waterproof to 2m and dust proof, allows you to have light even in the harshest of environments. Small, lightweight and rechargeable, the FenixRC05SE rechargeable flashlight will be your go-to flashlight for camping, backpacking or every day use.

The only issue that I have with it is that it's not USB rechargeable it recharges on a proprietary magnetic recharging cord which means you have to use their cord.

However I carry this light at work every night I use it every night it's actually the main light I use at work and I've never had it die on me at work. I just put it on the charger when I get home.

At work I also carry a Fenix UC35. It runs on 2 CR123s or a rechargeable 18650 battery but it IS rechargeable and it charges through a USB port which means I can recharge it with my phone charger at work if I need to. I've saved the price of the light over the last 2.5 year just because I've not had to replace the batteries

It has 5 brightness levels and a strobe (that I never use)

14 lumens
50 lumens
180 lumens
480 lumens
1000 lumens

This light "remembers" the last setting you put it on so I keep it on turbo and step it down if I need to.

According to the website it will run an hour and a half on "Turbo but since I almost never leave it on full for more than a minute or two I usually only have to recharge it twice a week or so.

It's also regulated so it will run evenly until it hits about 30% charge then it steps down to the 180 lumens setting. It also light a red warning light to let you know it's time to charge.

Cost 90 bucks

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix...FYSAaQodB1UFGQ
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I like Fenix. I have the E05 on my car key chain and it's come in handy and more than one occasion. And it gets bumped and banged around a LOT but just seems to be very sturdy in it's construction.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I still carry my Olight M2R Warrior.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:06 pm So if you EDC a flashlight, what is it? Do you EDC more than one? If so, why?

This has H,M,L and strobe. Nice little AAA light and pretty bright for it's size. On my car key chain I have a Fenix E05 which has H,M,L modes and more of a diffused beam. It is also a small AAA light.

Well my Fenix E05 crapped the bed a couple of days ago. I suspected it was on it's way out a few months back when trying to use it at night at the property and it wasn't working correctly. Then it started working again. But when I recharged the battery a couple of days ago it stopped altogether. Made sure it wasn't the battery, it wasn't.

Can't complain too much I suppose. I've had this light for several years now and it gets banged around quite a bit being on my car key chain. Too bad because I liked that light quite a bit and got some use out of it.

The TiS is still going along fine. It probably doesn't get banged around quite as much as it's on the other key chain.

Now I need to see what's out there in the world of AAA lights for a replacement.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Looked around a bit and decided to get the Thrunite Ti3 V2 which is very similar to my Thrunite TiS (which is on my EDC survival key chain).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EC ... UTF8&psc=1

Like the TiS, the Ti3 V2 has three modes. Firefly which is 0.04 lumens and 115 hours run time. I like a light with a firefly mode and have used it on several occasions. Second mode is 12 lumens and the high mode is 120 lumens. Like the TiS, cycle through the modes twice and you have a hidden strobe function.

The light only weighs 0.43 ounces. Should arrive on Thursday :)

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Picked up another Olight i3e for $5. I am a subscriber to the website. Everyone was given a gift card because of slow deliveries. 90 lumens.
That model has replaced the more expensive light I had on the key chain.

I like the new Thrulite for $15. Like the firefly capability.

Ok. With the $5 i3e, I did the following: put in a zip lock baggie with the battery outside of the flashlight, a 4 pack of AAA batteries, a new whistle on a lanyard an put it in the pocket behind the driver's seat.