Never bring a gun to a knife fight

A section for knives, axes, multi-tools and all things blades.
David
Administrator

Never bring a gun to a knife fight

Post by David »

In considering a knife or edged weapon for self-defense I thought it was a catchy title, and sometimes very apt.

The edged weapon can have several advantages in a self defense situation;
  • Doesn't run out of ammunition.
  • Silent.
  • Doesn't jam.
  • Has utility uses beyond the scope of SD making in multi-use.
  • If trained, it is fast and quite effective. And it can be more effective than a gun shot wound. Obviously it is normally a close quarters weapon, but so are many defensive situations.

Despite the catchy title, nothing here is to suggest that an edged weapon is the preferred or go-to defensive tool above and beyond any other i.e. firearm, O.C. spray etc. But it is to suggest that situations could happen in which it may be the preferred go-to defensive tool. There is an old saying, 'I normally have my gun on me but I always have my knife on me'.

I've mentioned in another thread that I've been carrying the Byrd Crossbill as my main EDC carry (in addition to my SAK Tinker). My main reason for carrying a knife such as this is three-fold;
  • First, it's a great rescue tool. I was once in a situation where I was the first to arrive at the scene of a vehicle accident. Having something to cut a seat belt or other rescue related task was ingrained on me as a result of that incident. I find that for these tasks the hook blade design helps hold the material (like rope or a seat belt) against the blade without slippage. Very important in a rescue situation.
  • Second, as a utility tool. Cutting open a package or whatever, again, I like the blade configuration for these type tasks.
  • Third, as a self-defense tool. Having been in the martial arts for around 45 years now as well as many training courses, I've been trained in various methods of self defense using an edged weapon. Once again, this style of blade is conducive to the type of SD training I've received.

Blade Length: 3-1/2" (89 mm)
Cutting Edge: 3-1/8" (79 mm)
Overall Length: 7-5/8" (194 mm)
Closed Length: 4-5/8" (117 mm)
Blade Thickness: 0.125" (3 mm)
Blade Steel: 8Cr13MoV Stainless Steel
Weight: 5.6 oz.

It has a decent heft to it and large enough to get a firm grip. Very important for a SD weapon of course. So tossing this thread out for discussion on any edged tool you EDC that could be effective as a SD tool.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
CrashJohnson

Re: Never bring a gun to a knife fight

Post by CrashJohnson »

I don't have your martial arts background or skills, so for me the pocket knife represents a last resort in terms of personal defense. While I own a bunch of pocket knives (too many 🙂) that would serve well for that purpose, my EDC is a Victorinox Farmer Alox. A very useful knife for just about everything but self defense. LOL.

Guess I'll have to rely on my CCW pistol. ABC - always be carrying.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I really like Victorinox knives. Outstanding quality.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

I have a black belt... the one that holds up my pants ( and gun )

I carry a simple folder to open items that's about it :)
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

That Byrd I have pictured above has been used literally hundreds of times since I bought it almost three years ago. It's been a dandy knife and it's an EDC for me. Along with the SAK Tinker. It's been through all kinds of cardboard during the move, hemp ropes used to tie down stuff, packing tape etc. It's a sharp, durable blade. Well worth the little bit it cost (around $30 IIRC).

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Yeah.....NO! I'm too old to get that up close and personal with an assailant. The odds of ever using a knife for self defense is....0. :lol:
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:42 pm Yeah.....NO! I'm too old to get that up close and personal with an assailant. The odds of ever using a knife for self defense is....0. :lol:
Never say never. You may at some point have to creep up behind and take out an alien zombie ninja so the rest of your team can sneak into the power grid generator plant to bring down the shield protecting the aliens...no, wait, that was the movie I was watching last night. Never mind.

:lol:

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:29 am
Mac66 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:42 pm Yeah.....NO! I'm too old to get that up close and personal with an assailant. The odds of ever using a knife for self defense is....0. :lol:
Never say never. You may at some point have to creep up behind and take out an alien zombie ninja so the rest of your team can sneak into the power grid generator plant to bring down the shield protecting the aliens...no, wait, that was the movie I was watching last night. Never mind.

:lol:
Good point! :lol:
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I am going to build on David's comments.

1. there isn't much more to say.

2. the world is full of imperfections. when shtf, you go with what you have, not the best.

A small snapshot in time...... A few weeks ago, I posted a photograph of myself in SE Asia when I was living with the hilltribes. The picture shows me in civilian clothes. I carried 5 knives, a sword and a locally built rifle. No high tech equipment.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Knife? for SD?

[Australian accent]. That's not a knife...

2lbs
32" blade
60Si2MnA High Carbon Manganese Steel
Rockwell Hardness 55
Strong, sharp, good flex/return

+30 years of how to use it.

I have 5 off varying quality, but if we are going to a fight...this is #1