On-the-go food

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
David
Administrator

On-the-go food

Post by David »

Thought it would be interesting to start a thread on various types of food that would be good in an EDC bag for when your on-the-go. Whether your just out shopping for the day and want a snack or if you've broken down on the side of road and need a little pick-me-up cause you have to take the shoe leather express for a few miles to get to a phone, gas station or area with better cell reception.

I'll start the thread off with some Paleobars we picked up from Costco.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ ... 57030.html

Very tasty with organic ingredients that have 230 calories and only 45mg of sodium. Handy to toss in the car or an EDC bag or even a cargo pocket. Small and light so they don't take up much space.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Re: On-the-go food

Post by Bob »

Darn - was hoping this was a bug out food thread!

I do not have "EDC" food. I do have lifeboat type food cakes and jerky in my car. I might grab a bar of anything depending on what I'm doing any given day.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:47 pm Darn - was hoping this was a bug out food thread!

I do not have "EDC" food. I do have lifeboat type food cakes and jerky in my car. I might grab a bar of anything depending on what I'm doing any given day.
It could well be food for a BOB as well. But mainly for short term, be it a day out doing errands or a 1-3 day situation that was unplanned.

If you were Les Stroud you’d be good for a week on two peanuts, half a strip of jerky and a tic-tac :D

If you were Bear Grylls you could just drink your own pee :?

If you were Cody Lundin you’d be searching for grubs and worms :o

But since we’re not, do you plan for any on-the-go food for a snack or JIC?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Minimal amount of hard candy, #10 can of pilot bread, plastic bag of hardtack. 7 gallons of water in the car. Probably have a couple of cans of tuna.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

In the car:

2 Lifeboat Survival bars
2 liters of water
Bag of beef Jerky

Uber eats app
Gun to hold up 7/11
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'm kinda taking a different tact concerning eating. I recently did a number of 72 hour (one was actually 78 hours) fasts and 3 48 hour fasts in the last 5 weeks. I usually do them when I go up to my property. Since I go up for 5 days every week I've gotten used to going without food. I'm also pretty active while fasting. I hunt in the mornings and evenings and cut/haul wood, clear brush/trails, cut shooting lanes, and scout between times.

The only thing I have is black coffee and water.

I started fasting when I stared doing keto almost 3 years ago.

This is what I've learned....

-The hunger pains you feel is withdrawal from carbs/sugar. Most people eat so many carbs that you body become dependent on them. If you can cut/reduce carbs/sugar in you diet your hunger pains will subside.

-When I first did a 72 hour fast I did fine until 48 hours then I got a little hungry. I drank some beef bullion (no carbs, no calories). The flavor killed the hunger and I was fine. The second 72 hour fast I didn't need the bullion. In fact I wasn't hungry after 72 hours and did another 6 hours and finally ate at dinner when I got home from the cabin. It was pretty easy.

-I regularly do 48 hour fasts. They are pretty easy.

-I plan on doing a 96 hour fast. After the 78 hour one I don't think it would be too hard.

The point of me doing fasts is to train myself to not be dependent on food. Should something happen I know I can go at least 3-4 days without food and still function both physically and mentally. I was still cutting and hauling wood the third day of my fast and had no problem figuring out stuff. I wasn't exhausted or dull witted. So basically, fasting is a survival strategy.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

It's been a very long time but the wife and I use to fast as well. The idea was a 24 hour fast once a week, a 72 hour fast once in a 3 month period in place of a 24 hour and once a year a 10 day fast. Never made it to the 10 day but we did do 3 day fasts. And sometimes we did a juice fast.

Costco has all sorts of protein type bars that make good OTG bars. Additionally, I like making up some trail mix with nuts and dried berries like cranberries and raisins. Current favorite is the praline pecans from Costco with some cashews and cranberries. That way you got some fats and some natural sugars to provide a little go juice. Fats pack a bit more calories than protein or carbs so it's good for OTG or emergencies.

The $ store as well as ethnic stores like Arabic or Indian have very tasty little sesame seed and honey bites that are either square or round balls. Those are really good and provide some energy as well.

I find that I don't eat quite as much as I use to eat so little snack grazing throughout the day is often enough.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I just added Bridgeford BBQ Chicken sandwiches back to the pile.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Careful, they are 700mg of sodium each :shock:

These days I'm really watching my sodium intake.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Sodium isn't a problem for me. Plus, not a bad thing in the heat.

I don't hold survival food to too high a nutritional standard.