solar powered motion deector with replaceable battery

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
bdcochran

solar powered motion deector with replaceable battery

Post by bdcochran »

This really addressed to our light guru, David.

1. I have solar powered motion detectors. The life expectancy is governed by the internal battery, like it might be an 18650 wired to the rest of the guts of the light. I want to buy solar powered motion detectors that can be opened like a flashlight and I can replace the internal battery with a new, probably rechargeable. If I can find such a unit, the life expectancy of the unit would be indefinite and probably longer than the 3 year current standard. :idea:
David
Administrator

Re: solar powered motion deector with replaceable battery

Post by David »

I just read your post on the conversation you had with Mr. Beams. I'd be interested to see your review after you get one of the units. 400 lumens is respectable depending on the location.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Still thinking about which model to buy.

Property description. conventional single family dwelling. West side- gate and fence. Neighbor about 10 feet away. Gate permanently locked. Not used for access. East side. Driveway. Gate on driveway and wood fence over concrete wall. At the end of the driveway is the garage.

On the east fence, I have put a series of inexpensive, solar powered low lumen lights. They have worked well. On the garage, a couple of solar powered lights, but they required a separate solar collector with a wire down to the detector.

What I am considering NOW is a current all-in-one solar powered on the east gate facing the street.
1. the lumens available with a separate solar collector are much higher than 5-8 years ago.
2. if I put in a high lumens light, it would be in my face because I park at the gate.
3. the most important reason is that in 40 years, the cars on the street have been burglarized from time to time. The last time was about a year ago and I was able to identify 5 cars in three blocks that had been hit.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

My original solar powered lights with non removable batteries were about 8 lumens. I ordered 2 24 lumen lights for a delivered price of what I paid years ago for the 8 lumens. No wires. So, I will drill both redwood gates and put them up on each.

The permanently locked westside gate has raccoons going over it every night. It might stop. The gate on the driveway is positioned to somewhat discourage car burglars. (The women in the neighborhood put Ring devices on their front doors. The police will not even come out and pick up videos of neighborhood burglars-so much for product advertising).
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

These lights do not have replaceable batteries, but they work well. I ordered my first set in October 2018 and then added two more in January of 2019. All four are still going strong. Most of the time, they last all night. If we have a stormy day and they don't get a good charge, then they will die before sunrise. I have them set on a low setting that shine from dusk to dawn and if it detects motion it kicks up to the high setting. Solar powered lights and batteries have come along way over the years.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

This is a further response to David.
1. years ago, I bought a bunch of 8 lumen outside lights that worked with motion detection. Non removable, non replaceable batteries.
2. this week, I took down three more units, leaving only one unit still working.
3. I ordered two of the same 24 lumen lights as replacements,.
4. They had a higher satisfaction rating than the more powerful lights.

Comments. I am older. I am sensitive to the fact that I have known people, including friends and my dad who fell off roofs. If I buy the solar powered unit that is one piece, I don't face the prospect of having to get on a ladder and attach something to the roof.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:55 pm I don't face the prospect of having to get on a ladder and attach something to the roof.
I agree! Gravity isn't always your friend :!:
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I watched the sun today. It takes some time to charge or recharge a battery in a "solar powered" motion detector. One unit will go near the front door (east facing and unshaded for 1/2 day) and the second unit on a west facing stucco wall on the garage which has no obstruction during the day.

Because the rechargeable battery in the unit is rated as fine for two years by the manufacturer, it seems that the takedown to recharge the battery will happen close to two years out. Not much of a problem. My non "solar powered" rechargeable battery operated game cameras need frequent recharging.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Update as of April 2021

Mr. Beams does not advertise that it sells lights with replaceable 18650 batteries. I bought two to put on commercially installed redwood fence gates installed with locks, one on the driveway and one on the sidewalk. The units are self contained, meaning one object, not two. I ordered another for the driveway and one for the post at the front door that holds the flagpole.

I ordered another of the same units and it came in last week. Three settings: 1. all night at 70 lumens; 2. a long burst on motion at about 100 lumens and a 3. short burst at about 200 or so lumens. I just want a high burst. I thought for a few days. Hey. I don't have to screw it into a wall. I put it on a fence with a piece of stiff wire. Now I can re-set it or move it at will. Probably ideal for shtf if you wanted to hang from a tree near a runway or a path.

Things sure are developing in batteries/lights. Example. The prices are coming down on the solar powered motion lights. A few weeks ago, I tested all of my C and D cell driven motion detector lights and boxed all but one which is used in the garage. I am not getting rid of them, but not buying any more. I have plastic C and D cell inserts that allow the use of AA or maybe AAA batteries as appropriate. So, I am cutting down on my supplies of C and D cell back up batteries over time.Sure, I have also a box of stored C and D cell Maglight flashlights in excellent condition. Saving those as well. Old technology that will work in a pinch. Gave away their spare parts about 10 years ago.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Thanks for the update Bd. I'm still deciding what solar lights to put on my new house.