Sig thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Sig thread

Post by David »

Got the P250 cleaned up and lubed this morning. It was a bit dirty but not filthy. I noted that everything just seems robust in the internals. I'll take a pic of the RSA lug and post it in another thread. Very beefy.

Been looking around at night sights. I found several on Ebay for cheap but I would imagine that they are probably past half their shelf life since the pistol was discontinued somewhere back around 2015-2017ish. Front sights would be new but the rear sight is very specific and I just don't think they are produced anymore so any 'new' stock is actually 'new-old' stock from maybe 5+ years ago give or take.

I think the easiest and least expensive route to take with this one is the Nitsiters option. I've used them before and they work just fine. Like HK 'lum' sights they take a charge with a flashlight. Initially they are 5X brighter than new night sights but fade over time. They will last the whole night actually. They'll be very dim by morning but with your vision adjusted to the darkness you can still pick them up. On some of our SEP gatherings several of us had pistols with either Nitesiters or lum sights. We'd hit them with a flash light prior to a late night hike and it lasted long enough to make a hike and get back to camp.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Went ahead and ordered the Nitesiters. Eight 1/16 dots for $15. I can do the Sig, the Taurus G3 and maybe the front sight of the 380EZ.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I called Sig directly this morning. Meprolite is the company they used for the night sights on the P250. They do have the rear sight available but it's 'new-old' stock so even though it's new in the package, it's already in the neighborhood of 6 years old give or take. This is because the P250 was discontinued in 2017 and the rear sight is such an unusual type, not like the normal dovetailed type. So it wouldn't make sense to buy them as they are probably at the halfway point in their service life. I could get them as low as $15 bucks around the web, but again, how much life would they actually have left in them? No telling how long they've actually been sitting on some shelf. I called Meprolite to inquire if they will relamp the sights (Trijicon does relamp but only for their own sights). They don't relamp.

So I think my only and best option is to go with the Nitesiters that I ordered. They should arrive in the mail tomorrow. The Nitesiters won't have that continual all-the-time glow of actual night sights, but when charged they are actually brighter for a while then eventually fade. Even if I get an old/new rear sight I'll be in the same situation within a few years anyway, and that's if the sights that arrive are any brighter than what I have on the pistol now. So at least with the Nitesiters it is a solution that will last the life of the pistol. And for the role I intend for this pistol, woods carry, the only time I'd need 'night sight's is during a night hike or overnight camping trip and then it's a simply matter to charge them up for a few seconds prior to a hike.

Now the question is whether or not I should invest in a 357sig barrel for it? I'm likely to stick with 40S&W for woods carry, but it would be nice to have the option. For 9mm or 45acp I'd need the X-Change kit which I'm not finding anywhere in stock right now for the P250. While 9mm would be fine, I'd really like to get the 45acp X-Change kit as I quite liked the P250 I had before in 45acp.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Nitesiters arrived and I put them on the P250. Took maybe 5 minutes. Put a small bit of super glue on the backside of the dots so it should stay in place quite well. Just like the other ones, they charge up very bright then fade a bit with time.

Image[

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Received word back from Sig. My P250 was made Feb 3, 2009. I also inquired if they still had the X-change kits available for the P250. They do not. I didn't think they would but figured it was worth asking. So I'll continue to look around for a deal on a kit to make it into a 45acp. Also still looking for a deal on a 357sig barrel. Not really concerned with making it a 9mm as I have plenty of 9mm platforms. Must have been shot very little over the last 12 years.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Posted this in the 'New Gun' thread but wanted to include it specifically in the Sig thread as well.

Had a bunch of gun money left over so I've been looking for a good deal that tickled my fancy. A retired P.D. Officer from a local agency was selling his almost brand new P365XL for $500. I would image he got this at blue label pricing for about that. He only put 30 rounds through it and decided to go smaller and bought a P365 and put an optic on it. He showed my his new P365 with the optic and I showed him my P365 with the TLR-6.

This XL has an optic cut, I don't recall if they all do or not? So anyway, I felt a basically brand new XL for $500 was worth jumping on so I bought it this morning.

Not sure if I'll put it in with the HD pistols or maybe see about making it an EDC? I'd put a MS on it if I plan to carry it as that's my preference.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I just ordered the three parts to convert it over to a MS model as that's my preference. And I ordered a holster that will fit it and a TLR-6. I'll either switch the TLR-6 over from my P365 or just buy a new one. Haven't decided yet but I do like having a WML on my EDC when possible. And I've come to like the little TLR-6. Not the brightest on the market but it does just fine for a CCW I think.

I thought about ordering a grip module with the MS cut outs but they are $50+ which is a lot of money for a molded piece of poly in my opinion. So I'm going to simply take a dremel to the standard grip module. I've seen other folks do it on YT so no reason I can't. I have an example with my P365 with the cut outs for the measurements of the cut out. If I screw it up I'll just pony up the cash and buy one. But I'd rather same that money for either a second TLR-6 or more mags. Possibly those base plates that convert the 10-round P365 mags so they can fit in the XL. That would be nice for spares.

My thoughts are to carry the XL as my primary EDC and have the P365 as back up. Perhaps toss it into the sling back I normally carry. My wife has her CCW but getting her to actually carry her pistol is like pushing water uphill against the wind. Her excuse is 'well you're with me all the time and you always carry'. So perhaps this is an easy way to have it available to her should she want to toss it in her purse or whatever. At least it's an option.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Nice pick up.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Horskinator wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:35 pm Nice pick up.
I think I'm going to like both of them quite well. I'll get the XL set up when the holster and MS parts arrive. And like I mentioned in another thread, I'd like to run it in an Outlaw match.