Sig thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Sig thread

Post by David »

Very cool for both, looking forward to the pics. P226 is one of those icon type pistols. :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Sweet! :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Damn it... The Sig bug bit again.... I was out Christmas shopping with the GF and we stopped by a GS and a CPO P239 in 9mm was there at a reasonable price. As some of you know the P239 was the "one that got away" so I did what any man would do and filled out the form and opened the wallet. Due to background check delays I will not be able to pick her up until Sunday..... pic to follow. I officially admit I have an addiction to Sigs.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

There is a lot to like about the P239. Gobble up mags when you find them at a reasonable price along with parts. And it will last you a couple of lifetimes. What's your plans for it? CCW?

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

David wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:16 am There is a lot to like about the P239. Gobble up mags when you find them at a reasonable price along with parts. And it will last you a couple of lifetimes. What's your plans for it? CCW?
Most likely it will be CCW. Really not a plan for this tool other than I loved the first one.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

It will make a fine CCW.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

The reviewer in the above video is an engineer in the firearms industry. This was interesting to see his perspective on the P365. One interesting comment was that, in his professional opinion, he felt the P365 would be capable of a 20k service life. I started thinking about that after watching the video. For a micro-9 that's pretty respectable given it's small size and mass. That would be 100 rounds per month for almost 17 years. And certainly more rounds than the average P365 owner would ever fire through it. And that isn't to suggest that 20k is the ceiling for the P365. It's not necessarily going to turn to fall apart and turn to dust at 20,001 rounds. It may be capable of going higher?

Of additional interest was that he had only cleaned the pistol a few times in the 8500 rounds he's fired. This goes in line with another video I saw from Warrior Poet who went 1500 rounds before a cleaning. So the pistol is capable of some fairly impressive field performance for it's size and intended use. This also goes in line with a member on another board I've been chatting with that works part time at a range. The range has a P365 rental that he says is the most popular rental and goes out several times per day, every day. They don't have a round count on it but the general consensus of the staff is that it must be a 'gazillion' by now. IIRC, they've been running it for around two years. It finally had an issue, don't recall what the issue was at the moment but I think it had to be sent back. But the owner was so impressed that he wants to order a second P365 for rental.

I was talking about this with my son. It seems that a pistol like a Glock 19 for example, can be quite capable of getting very high round counts. Even reports of 100k+. And that seems fairly typical, in my experience, for the 9mm and 45acp Glocks. As I've mentioned before, my agency has G21.3's in the training division with 300k+ on them and they're running just fine. I'm not an engineer, but I would suspect that the reason a pistol like a Glock can go very high (talking about the larger pistols like the double stacks) is that they simply have more mass to absorb the recoil. A Glock 19 isn't necessarily a very large pistol but if you compare it side-by-side with a P365 it seems massive. So I would suspect that the increased mass of pistols like the double stack Glocks allows them to absorb the 'punishment' of recoil over time better along key points of the pistol that are normally the points to wear out or break.

I heard it put a while back that the Glock is a combat pistol and the Sig (P365) is a CCW pistol. Perhaps some truth to that statement. I would have no problem believing that a Glock 19 'in the field' would outlast a Sig P365. And certainly in the zombie apocalypse I'll be grabbing for the Glock 19 (or more appropriately the 19X for the capacity) but for EDC CCW the P365 seems to really be proving itself as an appropriately durable pistol.

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

After watching his review I took away that his estimated lifetime round count is rather light in my humble opinion. After taking the armorer's course for the P320 all the things he mentioned as noticeable wear is exactly what should happen as parts wear together. With proper lubrication I bet the little P365 will get well up to if not more than 100k rounds with only possibly replacing springs. The key to long service life of the pistol is using a good lube/grease on the rails just like on the original P series pistols. I use wheel bearing grease on the rails/slide of all my pistols in a very light film. It actually is amazing how well the polymer pistols hold up given the amount of energy they absorb. I do like how he mentions the Sig chassis design is superior to the Glock due to the FCU containing the rails opposed to the rails being molded into the polymer. One advantage that I did learn during the armorer's course is the sear housing is available as a whole unit to replace instead of all the little parts that are contained in the unit, however I can completely rebuild the sear housing if necessary. The P365 is very similar just a smaller package.