9mm gel tests

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
David
Administrator

9mm gel tests

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: WWB 147g JHP 9mm

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Those WWB 147s might be the ticket for my nightstand gun. Pretty good performance. Especially for a bargain round.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I think so as well. Normal price at WM was $21 for a box of 50. Yesterday they were $11 so I bought the last four boxes they had. I'm thinking they would be a good round for the Sub 2K once I test for function.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I'm sticking with 124g +p

Just never been that excited about 147
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 pm I'm sticking with 124g +p

Just never been that excited about 147
I use to feel that way about the 147. And I do very much like the 124+P, particularly in Gold Dot. And since I get it for free it's icing on the cake. But the attractive feature of the WWB 147 JHP is that it is available in 50 round boxes and even at normal prices are usually less that the 'premium' stuff in 20 round boxes. So you can test them in your pistol for function as well as POA and general training whereas doing so with the more expensive stuff will add up $ pretty quick.

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Welp, Time to stand up on my soap box for a few words.

1. I am speaking only from my experience. Not aiming to kill anyones sacred cow.

2. see number 1.

OK Winchester white box. It is crap. Inconsistent loading and never fully burns all the powder. I tested it across my chronograph in several guns and several calibers.

My findings were that it varried by as much 120 FPS in 9mm 115, 174 FPS in 9mm 124Grn, and 70 FPS in 230 ball .45 ACP.

It is so bad that on my suppressed FNX-45T it would foul my RMR in 3 shots. Every other load I have tried has gone between 20 and 100 rounds before having to clean the RMR.

Shooting suppressed will tell you a lot about the ammo you shoot. If it is really subsonic or not. How clean burning it is. How well it cycles your firearm. It also has a lot of blowback to your face, something everyone shooting hates. You spend about 2-3 times longer cleaning things as dirty ammo makes a mess of things.

WWB also doesn't like to function in full auto firearms. Under powered. 9mm and .45 ACP. In the last 5 years I have really been disappointed in Winchester. To the point that I tell people that S&B is better ammo and less likely to give you problems functioning and consistency.

I would recommend shooting rim fire over WWB.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:29 pm Welp, Time to stand up on my soap box for a few words.

1. I am speaking only from my experience. Not aiming to kill anyones sacred cow.

2. see number 1.

OK Winchester white box. It is crap. Inconsistent loading and never fully burns all the powder. I tested it across my chronograph in several guns and several calibers.

My findings were that it varried by as much 120 FPS in 9mm 115, 174 FPS in 9mm 124Grn, and 70 FPS in 230 ball .45 ACP.

It is so bad that on my suppressed FNX-45T it would foul my RMR in 3 shots. Every other load I have tried has gone between 20 and 100 rounds before having to clean the RMR.

Shooting suppressed will tell you a lot about the ammo you shoot. If it is really subsonic or not. How clean burning it is. How well it cycles your firearm. It also has a lot of blowback to your face, something everyone shooting hates. You spend about 2-3 times longer cleaning things as dirty ammo makes a mess of things.

WWB also doesn't like to function in full auto firearms. Under powered. 9mm and .45 ACP. In the last 5 years I have really been disappointed in Winchester. To the point that I tell people that S&B is better ammo and less likely to give you problems functioning and consistency.

I would recommend shooting rim fire over WWB.
Would this be for the FMJ range ammo or also the JHP offerings?

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I don't think anyone thinks WWB is in any sense "good". just cheap and highly available. Also the Auto/Supressed thing is not relevant to me. Bonus for you!

I do wonder what a hit they took from Walmart sales. In a real gun shop I'd never buy it.

However - it goes bang when I pull the trigger. There are situations where that is all I need/want. No soapbox offense taken!
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I have had people tell me they only trust known American named companies and that they would not trust ammo made by "ferners." his words not mine. It makes me sad. ESP after chronographing WWB.

When running suppressed or auto. It is a thing that I do, so yeah I do go through a bit of ammo from time to time. LOL..

Side note on red dot sites on pistols. If you shoot dirty ammo they will get dirty. It is only accelerated when shooting suppressed. It also shows why we wear eye protection when shooting, because all that crap is flying out the ejection port.

I hear a lot of people say well it goes bang when I trip the freedom switch, and that is what I want/need. I have to ask do you also run the cheapest gas in your sports car too?

In a tools that could have Catastrophic results if used with bad ammo. I would rather just spend a few dollars more. I am not saying it is defiantly going to fail on you, but rather why take the chance.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.