9mm PCC urges again...

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: 9mm PCC urges again...

Post by David »

@Bob

Okay, I never even knew this was a thing...

Hi Point PCC converted over to a Bullpup platform.

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/High-To ... _p_49.html

I’ve said it before, I’m a fan of the HP PCC series. I’ve had two 995TS and one 4095TS. The video represents a 4595TS. Both the 9mm and 40 S&W versions are simply sweet shooters. Nothing recoil and I had no issues. Only negative as mentioned above is the 10-round OEM mags. But the Redball 20-rounders are an option.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

The only thing the Hi-Point has going for it is being cheap. Almost doubling the cost pits it directly against much nicer guns where it can't hang.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Somehow I ended up at the local fun store and the owner looked at me and said. "I have something for you. I kept selling them before you got in." I was confused and worried. Last time we talked I watched the DSA SA-58 16 inch barrel walk out the door.

Instead he handed me a Ruger PC Charger. Said 600.00 and it goes home with you right now. So it is at home right now and I am waiting for a SB pistol brace to arrive now. Over all I am happy and will have a range report as soon as the triangle brace comes in. It will pair well with the PC Carbine and P80, that I have as well. Had never thought about building a load out around a caliber and magazine system. Another interesting thing is they can all use the same suppressor.

The only down side I have found with all the Ruger PC carbine/PC Charger is the factory glock mags do not drop free (Magpul do not either. I have not tried the korean mags or cheapies yet). May have to do some Polishing to open things up a bit so they can drop free.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Good choice. Really good price on the PC Charger too. Congrats.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

The only negative of the PC Charger is the relatively short barrel so no real gain in muzzle velocity like you get out of carbine barrel. It is heavy/bulky as a pistol. No real advantage over a standard 9mm pistol. It is compact and shoulderable with a brace if used as a PCC but without the advantage of muzzle velocity. I think it would be a better option with a 10" bbl.

Having said that, I would probably get the Charger over the carbine if given a choice.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

There's some advantage to a short barrel. Staying compact with a suppressor is nice.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Ronin.45 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 pm Good choice. Really good price on the PC Charger too. Congrats.
Thanks, yeah the price is what lead me to purchase it. I have been seeing them on GB for $700+, that and wanting one since the PC Carbine came out.
Mac66 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 am The only negative of the PC Charger is the relatively short barrel so no real gain in muzzle velocity like you get out of carbine barrel. It is heavy/bulky as a pistol. No real advantage over a standard 9mm pistol. It is compact and shoulderable with a brace if used as a PCC but without the advantage of muzzle velocity. I think it would be a better option with a 10" bbl.

Having said that, I would probably get the Charger over the carbine if given a choice.
I have both now. Each has it's own purpose in my safe or wherever it happens to be.

I have a "Brace" on order and Lets be 100% about things here. This version with the 6 inch barrel is not meant to be a over 100 yard gun. Yes all sorts of Navyrecondeltaforcereconseals shoot a 6-8 inch barrel on 9mms at 200 yards and bullseye bad guys, I am not one of those guys. Not my purpose of this pistol. It may be a range toy or sit in the car vault depending.
Ronin.45 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:43 pm There's some advantage to a short barrel. Staying compact with a suppressor is nice.
This is one of the main reasons I got it. Short with a can on it. Over all I think that both of the chargers get a bad rap because people do not understand how flexible the platforms are. I am still waiting for Ruger to drop the American bolt action pistol. :D You know, for reasons.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Sounds like you got a great deal. Having both a PCC and a PC Charger is pretty sweet. Congrats!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:27 pm @Bob

Only negative as mentioned above is the 10-round OEM mags. But the Redball 20-rounders are an option.
But its a BIG negative....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 pm
Bob wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:36 pm Hi-Piont: WHY did they only have a 10rd single stack mag???? And why hasn't anyone build a legit extended mag for it?!?!?!?!
In regards to the HP, the 9mm PCC is the 995TS. It's actually one of HP's most popular products and reviewed extremely favorably. It's not a battle rifle, but it is a reliable, accurate and fun PCC that is extremely controllable. I've owned two 995TS (still have one) and one 4095TS (the 40 S&W version). Simple blow back design. Is it pretty? Well that's an eye of the beholder sorta thing. But it works and works well and if it gets scuffed and dinged up...who cares, it's a HP.

In regards to magazines. Redball Sports has made 20-round mags for it for years. Both straight and bent mags. Only issue is if you're shooting from a prone position, but then any rifle with a long mag will have the same issue. They look funny, but again, if it sounds/looks stupid but it works...it's not stupid.

https://redballsports.net/

Additionally, the 995Ts has an inexpensive attachment that goes on the stock that holds two 10-round mags. So you've got whatever you have in the PCC and 20 rounds right on the stock as extras. You can see the mag and how it attaches in this pic (the attachment holds a mag on each side that does not interfere with shouldering/shooting the PCC.

As far as the sights, they are actually quite nice. IIRC it has a small and large peep site that rotates back and forth depending on the range your shooting. The two I've shot have been shot a LOT. The only thing it choked on was 147 WWB which to be honest I've had other guns choke on as well. But everything else was ate up and shot out. I'd have no issue having one in the closet or tossed in the car.
I'm getting a hankering for a HP PCC again. I'd like a 4595TS which is their 45acp PCC and actually, I wouldn't mind having another 995TS (9mm) and 4095TS (40S&W) as well. Talking with the admin over on the HP forum, he has a 4095TS with 10k rounds on it which is more than respectable for a 40S&W platform. These are still generally running under $300 right now.

Wouldn't mind having a Sub 2K in 40S&W as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".