Air rifles and pistols

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
David
Administrator

Re: Air rifles and pistols

Post by David »

If we were talking about an extended, extreme survival situation I could see having both a .22lr and .22 pellet on a stationary hunt i.e. I'm sitting in a stand or blind. Use the rifle that is appropriate to the target. A pellet rifle will do a lot of small game hunting and conserve the .22lr if it were necessary.

And for varmint/critter control it's a pretty ideal tool. Particularly in a neighborhood.

And man, some to those set ups are really slick! Those are the serious hunters/varmint killers. Reading some articles about them, some of these fancy airguns get up to .50 caliber and have taken Cape Buffalo. Pretty impressive. Not something for the average prepper of course but interesting to see it's progressed well beyond the Daisy BB rifle.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I'd get a different .177. One is none, blah blah blah.

Man, my mom had an old Czech wood/steel break action .177 pellet gun. I killed ALLL sorts of things in the woods with that as a kid. Wish she had kept it.
Ghost
Board Founder

Post by Ghost »

If your wanting a air rifle that can keep you in food or self defense look at pcp air guns this is mine a Hamrila phonoma 22 cal you can put down deer and hogs with head shots at 40 to 50 yards they make a 36 grain pellet for it and you can get pcp air guns from 177 22 25 30 45 357 and 50 cal they kill buffaloes with them.

Ghost
Board Founder

Post by Ghost »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

After picking up the Taurus TX22 the other day I started thinking about 22lr in my Marlin 60's and that led to thinking about the pellet rifles that I have. That led to curiosity about how each would fair against the other.

.22 Air rifle vs. .22LR

https://ammdog.com/22-air-rifle-vs-22lr/

No doubt the 22lr can throw a heavier bullet much farther and with more accuracy. But it's also interesting that a .22 pellet rifle can take small hog at 40 yards with shot placement so it's not like it's a slouch. So I found the above comparison interesting.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. I am surprised that "don't take a knife to a gunfight crowd" has not already chimed in.

2. The harsh realities include the following:
a. After shtf and things are going to take a decade (think US 1930s depression), you are not going to go hunting deer and living off the land. Wildlife was nearly wiped then. You will be living off the items that are shootable with an airgun - id est, that which you currently might trap in the house, garage, in the garden - and throw away.
b. you aren't going to shooting a firearm near your house to collect the small critters living near you.
3. I figured out no. 2 when I was visiting a relative in the hills of Sicily. He raised chickens and sold eggs in the local market for a living. His barn had more rats than you ever git rid of or eat. Yeah, I know. After a guy had shoot a few dozen rats with a .22lr, the barn would be swiss cheese. And, that is why you take a knife to a gun fight.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I have a Sheridan 5mm single shot Co2 pellet pistol. Have taken numerous rats, a few pheasants and a rabbit or two and a few stray cats while working midnights on the PD back in the day. It's pretty powerful.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Whoa!
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

6 months later, I can report that I re-sighted in my two air rifles with notes about the sights and then put them in sheaths in storage. Learned that one of them simply would not accept a scope. I still have the two pistols to re-sight in. One is a .22 Webley which is long out of production. The other is a .177 calibre. I will do those this week.