Range report thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Range Report: .22, 9mm, and .357

Post by Bob »

Just been overly conservative with ammo. I could burn a few hundred rounds and still have more than enough for a skirmish or two...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

You might like to come to an outlaw match with me sometime Bob. Very practical way to hone some combat skills i.e. moving, shooting on the move, barricades, moving targets etc. Only costs $15 and about a hundred rounds of ammo.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I need to do that...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I'll let you know the next time we go. It's on a Wednesday and starts at 5:30 in Ruskin. Don't know how that fits your schedule but if you can swing it I think you'll really enjoy the experience.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Wednesdays are usually good...
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Competition is the absolute best skill builder. It's also quite fun.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

No dounbt - it definitely upped my king fu skills
Bob
Board Founder

Range Report: Primary Arms 1-6x

Post by Bob »

So I wanted to tweak out my AK47 and make sure it was Pandemic-Post Election ready.

I spent some real quality time with it and my Primary Arms 1-6x today. Only shooting 25 yds - but I had done my homework and went to the dope charts on my ammo etc... Including details like measuring scope height off the bore, etc. Really went geek on it. Math is fun!!!

All of that said...

I LOVE the Primary arms Chevron on 1x !!!! That little thing just 'points' to wherever I want to put the round. Most of you know that I'm a huge circle dot fan, but just wow. This thing was fast and easy acquisition. Scope had really nice brightness, eye relief was working for me...just a great 1x solution in my opinion. YMMV. Also - really like the ability to turn it up to 6x. Did a fantastic job there too. Really really happy with this scope, or LPVO (Low Powered Variable Optic) as they call them.

I got that particular scope because of price, reputation, and the fact that you could get a .300BO graduated one (close enough to 7.62x39). I doubt I'll be doing any long distance shots. But I feel very good about knowing that at 50 to 150 yards it will be +/- 1" at the most or so. And if I want to go longer...I'm sure it can.

I was putting multiple 3 shot groups on top of each other - with an AK (A really good Bulgarian AK), and Wolf Mil Classic Ammo. Bring on the Zombies!!!
David
Administrator

Re: Range report thread

Post by David »

Well I recently purchased that BL Glock 45 I mentioned in the Glock thread. Had the opportunity to shoot it about two hours after I bought it at the Outlaw match. Did fairly well overall. No malfunctions and didn't expect any. I think I need to start wearing my glasses though for these matches to see if it helps. I normally don't wear my glasses (which I use for driving/distance) but I think I need to try a match with them to see how I do on the distance shots.

Overall I think I did better with the HK USPc and the Sig P365 as far as Alpha hits, but it's hard to compare apples to apples since the courses of fire are always different. But well enough that I got comfortable with it my the third and fourth stage. That's when I did my best work with it. Last stage I got 17 out of 19 Alphas and the two Charles were close to being Alphas. Distance were from about 15 to 25ish yards.

David
Administrator

Re: Range report thread

Post by David »

Took several pistol out to the local range today.

Sig P250

Finally got a chance to shoot this one. Immediate observation was that the recoil was more stout than on my HK USPc or P2000. Not unmanageable by any means, but definitely more muzzle flip than the other two pistols. Accuracy was acceptable. Again, not the tack-driver of the HK's but it grouped fairly well. I pulled a few to the left a smidge but overall it was fine. The DAO trigger was long but smooth. Once again, have to compare it to the P2000 which is DAO and the trigger is smooth but not as smooth as the HK. But it is more than acceptable. Had one jam with one mag. Empty didn't eject fully. Cleared easily and no other bobbles.

Overall impression is that it's a good gun for woods carry. It's a quality pistol but it's one that if it gets sweated all over during a hike or the grip gets a smudge or ding it isn't going to bother me. Capacity at 13+1 of 40S&W is more than fine.

P365XL

This is the pistol I mainly went to the range to test out. Accuracy was excellent, better than the P250. This range only goes out to 20ish yards but making head shots at that distance, even without my prescription glasses was no issue. Very pleased with the groups. I put the target at around 12-15 yards and was shooting the little target in the upper left and the scoring box in the upper right as well as the red X in the center of the target. Somewhat snappy recoil but the same or possibly slightly less than the P365. Not unpleasant and quick follow up shots weren't a problem. Shot with the 12 and 15-round mags. Not issues at all with function, no hiccups or bobbles. I do like the flat-faced trigger. Trigger was crisp and short and I have to say that the flat-faced trigger felt really nice. That 90 degree break just makes it a pleasure to shoot. Reset was distinct and as you'd expect, made quick follow up shots a breeze.

Overall impression is it's a P365 with a slightly longer barrel. Shot to POA and I was tearing out the center X on the target even with more rapid fire. No issue carrying this as an EDC and I'm glad I purchased it.

Glock 45

I decided that since I was going to the range this afternoon to test out the Sig P250 and P365XL that I'd take the G45 out for another session as well. Using the same ammo as the Sig P365XL the recoil, as you'd expect, was tamer. Bit longer barrel and more mass on the Glock so it's simple physics. I would have to rate the accuracy of the G45 as even slightly better than the XL. Again, more mass, more grip so it's not a surprise. Felt very comfortable with this pistol and I can see carrying it when the mood takes me.

Overall impression is that it is the reason I like a full-size Glock so well. Even though the G45/19X isn't 'technically' a full-size you may as well consider it as full-size the way it shoots. Just comfortable with a great reset. Having shot Glocks for so many decades the reset is just second nature. As much as I enjoyed and liked the XL I have to say I enjoyed the G45 just a bit more. No negative reflection on the XL, just overall impressions on two very good pistols. One of those 'if I had to choose just one' things, I'd probably have to go with the G45. Most here know I'm not a brand loyalist. And this again is absolutely no negative reflection on the XL which I very much enjoyed shooting. But I'd have to give the nod to the Glock in overall long term durability, less expensive spare parts and mags and comfort of shooting (even though I prefer the grip angle of the XL better). That's why I have Glock (specifically the 19X's and G22) as my standardized HD pistols. The G45 goes into the EDC role. So just very pleased with this pistol.

I've really been liking the leather holster I bought for the G45. Just makes it very comfortable to carry. Although I can't mount a WML with this holster it is the one I'm likely going to use to carry the G45. I do have a kytex holster if I wanted to toss on the Pl-Mini 2 Valkyrie.

Ruger LCP

My little pink pocket pistol. Depending on the ammo it can be fairly pleasant to shoot or it can be a 'hurting' gun to shoot. Today it was a hurting gun to shoot even with the Hogue Handall grip and extended base plate. Accurate though as always. Just not as fun to shoot as other pistols. No malfunctions.

Ruger LCP II

Just a more pleasant pistol to shoot imo. Same or better accuracy as the LCP, the 7-round extended mag just gives me better control than the LCP even with the extended grip. Just slightly more soft shooting. No malfunctions. Between this and the LCP, I'll grab the LCP II.