9mm Ballistics

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
Mac66
Board Founder

9mm Ballistics

Post by Mac66 »

I'll be running various 9mm loads through my chronograph over the next couple of weeks.

First up Wolf 115 gr. Steel cased fmj

Ruger LC9 PRO 3.12" bbl- 1040 fps

UZI carbine 16" bbl- 1420
Last edited by Mac66 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David
Administrator

Re: 9mm

Post by David »

That’s a pretty substantial bump up. Nearly 400 FPS is impressive.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

I remember reading about a shooting case Massad Ayoob wrote where somebody was shot with 9mm 115gr JHP fired from a carbine and survived. Because the bullet jacket was not designed for such high velocity, when it hit the guy the bullet expanded immediately and shattered leaving a nasty surface wound but had very little penetration.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

cityfarmer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 am I remember reading about a shooting case Massad Ayoob wrote where somebody was shot with 9mm 115gr JHP fired from a carbine and survived. Because the bullet jacket was not designed for such high velocity, when it hit the guy the bullet expanded immediately and shattered leaving a nasty surface wound but had very little penetration.
That is a concern with PCC's. You have to make sure that the bullet design is capable of handling the velocity increase. I'm pretty happy with the 124+P Gold Dots in my PCC's.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

cityfarmer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 am I remember reading about a shooting case Massad Ayoob wrote where somebody was shot with 9mm 115gr JHP fired from a carbine and survived. Because the bullet jacket was not designed for such high velocity, when it hit the guy the bullet expanded immediately and shattered leaving a nasty surface wound but had very little penetration.
But...did it stop the fight? That is the question.

I have a hard time believing that a fast moving metal projectile would expand on skin/muscle or even light bone and/or at least not penetrate significantly. Humans are pretty soft.
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

Mac66 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:36 pm
But...did it stop the fight? That is the question.

I have a hard time believing that a fast moving metal projectile would expand on skin/muscle or even light bone and/or at least not penetrate significantly. Humans are pretty soft.
I don't remember the whole story but the guy was shot on the chest and survived. During this period I was carrying the Corbon 115gr JHP +P+ which had the reputation of being the fastest 115gr in the market. I changed to Corbon 147gr JHP +P soon after that.

I'm not so sure as there are even cases of fast moving rifle bullet fired from rifles with excessive twist rate coming apart in flight.
I believe it was 22-250 caliber.

Years ago I saw a small buck take a shot on the shoulder with 45gr JHP fired from varmint rifle run off and never to be seen again. Came back next day but didn't see any vultures circling.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

cityfarmer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:07 pm During this period I was carrying the Corbon 115gr JHP +P+ which had the reputation of being the fastest 115gr in the market. I changed to Corbon 147gr JHP +P soon after that.
Good decision. I did testing at our agency range on the Corbon 115gr +P+. It consistently had limited penetration (8-9 inches) and the jackets separated from the core and fragmented pretty badly.

David
Administrator

Post by David »