45acp ballistics

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
aerynsun

Re: 45acp ballistics

Post by aerynsun »

bdcochran wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:23 pm Close to 50 years ago, I was in the Southwest Pistol League. Most guys shot .45acp. The guys who had problems were the ones who modified their guns and "experimented" with loads. They ignored the fact that the .45s that they were shooting were designed to function with a certain bullet configuration and load. Although I knew this, I was sucked into to reloading.

Fast forward almost 50 years.

I am at the private range. Up drives a friend who is now retired and was a national level firearms instructor. In our discussion, he revealed that he had sold off his other guns and kept the Glock .40s to simplify his life. He never reloaded because of the mess. He shot plain white box .40 cal ammo because it went bang every time he pulled the trigger.

Conversely, I had another friend whose workshop was clean. He reloaded ammo for about 35 calibers and would die before shooting what he had. His actual residence was a disaster.

Different people.
Economically, reloading makes sense if your shoot a great deal. And it can be relaxing.

On the downside, picking up brass is a pain. Which makes a revolver a good gun for a reloader. I reloaded for awhile.

I do not agree with those who think of reloading as long term survival strategy. If the SHTF, a reloader should reload all the components they have and hope they don't have to shoot.