Canteen cook set

Here you can post your DIY projects or links/videos.
Mac66
Board Founder

Canteen cook set

Post by Mac66 »

I just ran across this canteen cook set that I forgot I had. It was underneath the back seat of my pickup truck. A friend who was a marine set this up a few years ago, I thought it was quite clever and set one up for myself.

It is basically just a 1 qt military canteen & metal canteen cup. What he does is cut the bottom off another plastic canteen and uses that as a separate cup. He uses the metal canteen cup to heat the water and adds a wire handle to it. In cold weather the plastic cup doesn't lose heat as fast. The wire handle is bendable/collapsible and lets you hang the metal cup over a fire. It all nests together in the canteen cover.

I keep a couple coffee bags (like tea bags) and heat tabs inside the canteen cover for coffee on the go... If I remember that it's there. :oops:

Not sure why I have blue tape on the canteen though..
Gnepig
Board Founder

Re: Canteen cook set

Post by Gnepig »

I like this a lot, I have all of those parts to make a kit just like that. Thanx Mac
I wonder if you can fit the extra cup in that pouch and the cup stand?
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Gnepig wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 am I like this a lot, I have all of those parts to make a kit just like that. Thanx Mac
I wonder if you can fit the extra cup in that pouch and the cup stand?
Don't know, I don't have a cup stand

I will say that I used it a couple times when doing campouts with some kids from the "Young Marines" group. My buddy is s former marine recon guy and is very savy when it comes to things like this.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I picked one of these up at Devildogs at the Gun Hi-way flee mrkt for $5 bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Aluminum- ... 168&sr=8-5

It fits over the bottom of the cup when packed.

Quote:
"My buddy is a former marine recon guy and is very savy when it comes to things like this."

Savy indeed...
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Gnepig wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:46 am I picked one of these up at Devildogs at the Gun Hi-way flee mrkt for $5 bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Aluminum- ... 168&sr=8-5

It fits over the bottom of the cup when packed.

Quote:
"My buddy is a former marine recon guy and is very savy when it comes to things like this."

Savy indeed...
I was aware of the stove but don't have one. Let us know if it fits in the cover with the other stuff. Might make a good addition. I have one set up where the plastic cup barely fits inside the metal cup so I don't think anything else would fit. The set up I showed you fits fine however so it might work. I'll keep my eye open for a cup stand/stove. BTW, I also have a cup cover/lid but no real way to pack it with the canteen.
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Empty the canteen pouch, then place the lid on the bottom[with the ring up], put the canteen in metal cup, then put the both in the stove. You might need to change the Alice type pouch for a Mollee style, as they are slightly larger. The plastic cup should fit on top of the canteen[upside-down].
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

fishingjeff wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:45 pm Empty the canteen pouch, then place the lid on the bottom[with the ring up], put the canteen in metal cup, then put the both in the stove. You might need to change the Alice type pouch for a Mollee style, as they are slightly larger. The plastic cup should fit on top of the canteen[upside-down].
Yeahhhhhh...no. The cup lid won't fit in the bottom of the pouch because it is slightly larger than the canteen cup which is larger at the top than the bottom. The pouch is also tapered i.e, smaller at the bottom. The plastic cup won't fit on top of the canteen and even if it did you couldn't button the pouch over it.

What I did find in my other setup was a piece of heavy foil (cut from a pan) folded up inside the pouch to be used as a lid. That is probably a good solution to having a top for your metal cup.

fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Mac66, Have you tried to use the Mollee style canteen cover. They are slightly larger than the older military issue ones. My lid is on the bottom followed by the stove then the cup and the canteen inside of the cup. Your plastic canteen cup should fit on top of the canteen in an upside-down condition. The Mollee cover has a flap type lid held in place by a "Y" shaped strap connecting to a single buckle on the front of the cover.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

fishingjeff wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:14 am Mac66, Have you tried to use the Mollee style canteen cover. They are slightly larger than the older military issue ones. My lid is on the bottom followed by the stove then the cup and the canteen inside of the cup. Your plastic canteen cup should fit on top of the canteen in an upside-down condition. The Mollee cover has a flap type lid held in place by a "Y" shaped strap connecting to a single buckle on the front of the cover.
No I haven't tried the molle cover. Will have to look for one. Thanks for the tip