Backyard gardening

David
Administrator

Backyard gardening

Post by David »

We have great success with kale, romaine and red leaf lettuce as well as collard greens and parsley. I have four different types of tomatoes planted right now, yellow pear, husky cherry, red/yellow cherry and the OSU blue tomatoes. We've got grape leaves going well and today I'm planning on planting a fig tree, black berries and a couple of different types of cucumbers and eggplant. I'll post so pics later.

How's your backyard garden coming along?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Re: Backyard gardening

Post by bdcochran »

Picked the last of the Haas avocados. This was the first year of production for this tree and two orange trees.

Picking cherry tomatoes every day.

Attended a zoom class on gardening. Learned which veggies could be started with parts of veggies bought in the store. Planted some onion ends based upon the program.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Planted a fig tree in a large container yesterday as well as two different types of cucumbers. Set up a couple of trellises for the cucs to cling onto as they grow. Also bought a black berry plant and will try to get it planted in a container today as well.

Another goal this week is to widen the area around my Japanese plum (loquat), blood orange, mires lemon and mango trees so that I can better fertilize them and then mulch.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

We've added a second type of fig (brown turkey), mulberry, another eggplant and a pomela tree. Got them all planted yesterday. :)

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I have a slightly different growing system in my area. The radishes and cilantro do well over the winter and into May. Then they bolt. Surprisingly, the tomatoes do survive and produce over the winter time. As the tomatoes play out in June, I am planting more tomato seeds. Apparently, it is nearly a year around crop here.

The avocados are harvested in May and the new ones form in May. I got the first 9 of production first year from the Haas.
The Washington Navels (first year of production) and the Cheromoya played out in April as well as the tangerine - very sweet at the very end. Just a caution not to pick or eat them early in the season, meaning through the end of Feb. If you find them in the markets before March, it is only because they qualified with a minimal sugar content under federal regulations. Otherwise, they are not ready to eat until about March.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

For some reason my blue tomatoes didn't make it. Not sure why, I did everything the same as the other three types of cherry tomatoes that I have and they seem to be doing just fine.

Cucumbers seem to be happy and vining along the trellis well. Kale is still going strong and the egg plant are looking good with several more small ones starting up. Hopefully all will continue to do well as it heats up which of course it's doing in Florida.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Planted a new batch of kale. This time purple leaf kale. This will go into my morning smoothie.

Additionally, our more established fruit trees are doing very well.

Our 'Chinese' plum also know as a loquat is fruiting again and I'm VERY excited about this because it's one of my favorite. I love just walking out to the tree and picking them off.

They will turn a deep to bright yellow when they ripen.

The mango tree is finally blossoming this year, which is the first. Wife is excited about this one. Also great for a smoothie.

This photo really doesn't do the tree justice, it's our Mire's lemon tree that has blossomed. It has a LOT of blossoms and the bees are absolutely loving it. Several dozen bees are buzzing around the tree.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Backyard gardening will always be hit or miss.
Some of the 14 fruit trees are 30 years old and past bearing or too tall on the hillside. The ones that are coming into production are more accessible and younger: 2 Washington Navel orange, 2 avocado, 1 lemon and 1 tangerine.

This year I planted an assortment of tomato plants, carrots and radishes in 21 containers. Largely a failure. Last year, a great success. Next, I have decided to plant only cherry tomato plants.

I gave away a few hundred pounds of guavas this year. Helps reduce the bill from the auto mechanic and rewards the neighbor who sometimes collects my mail.

Washington Navel. Commercially raised when I was a kid. This is the first production year. You pick in March. Much larger than the ones in the store and sweeter. Should get 30-40. Next year will be 200.

Avocado. Two kinds. My dad raised them commercially. Not pollinated by bees. The wind does it. Production is 1 - 1.5 years. Does not ripen on the tree. So, I let mine grow larger than what you see in the market. Supposed to be pickable in April, but I was picking last month. Do not buy fully ripe in the store. They will actually be over ripe and spoiled. Buy green and firm. Age in a brown paper bag if you are impatient. I cannot estimate at this time. Have to wait until after the fruit drop period.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

We are planning our garden now. Depending on the weather, we will start planting at the end of this month, to the start of next month.