10MM/45 Super

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
cityfarmer

Re: 10MM

Post by cityfarmer »

The 10mm advantage over 45 Super is the potential for deeper penetration based on the bullet's sectional density. If you compare the Hornady's 10mm XTP 200gr vs. the 45ACP XTP 230gr the 10mm bullet has higher sectional density (0.179 vs. 0.162) so in theory if both bullets of same solid design are traveling at same speed the 10mm will give deeper penetration. I'm not sure how much penetration advantage 10mm has over 45 Super in real life flesh and bone but I know several people who load and use 250 gr SWC bullets which has sectional density of about 0.175 @ 1,100 fps in 45 Colt revolvers and get complete penetration on large (200+ lb.) hogs from any angle. IMHO this is sufficient penetration for practically any large animal in lower 48 states except maybe brown bears and moose.
As an avid hunter, shooter, hand loader and tinkerer I'm in the planning stages of replacing my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt revolver with 1911 and Glock pistol capable of similar performance. I'm planning to converting a 1911 Government pistol and a 3rd generation Glock 21SF to shoot 45 Super. My goal is to safely shoot 230gr Hornady XTP or similar bullet at velocities of 1,200fps from these pistols.
My decision to go with 45 Super instead of 10mm is simply based on my previous experience...back in late 1980's and early 1990's I had a Colt Delta Elite and Auto Ordinance in 10mm and played with them a lot. I loaded and shot thousands of 10mm rounds from mild to wild through these two pistol. Eventually the Colt's barrel link broke along with several other small parts and the AO frame developed a crack around the slide stop hole. I ended up selling the Colt to a gunsmith friend and the AO slide was put on a cheap cast frame that I out together and sold. I didn't have much experience with Glock 20 as I have short fingers so it never fit my hand correctly.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I agree that 10mm has some advantages, but 45Super has one big thing going for it. It can be used in 45ACP guns we already own. In normal use I have zero need or desire for a heavy hitting dangerous game round. In the off chance I go to bear country, or decide to go hog hunting, turning my G21sf into a Super is easy and convenient.
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

I agree Glock 21 is the easier of two to convert to 45 Super...just a aftermarket supported chamber barrel, steel recoil guide rod and heavier recoil spring. A 1911 needs more parts and work for long term durability but I like 1911 pistols as I've been shooting one for hunting, competition for 40+ years and carrying one for 30+ years so I'm much more comfortable with it than the Glock.
I don't really "need" a 45 Super pistol at this time as my current Blackhawk 45 Colt will do everything a 45 Super can do and more for past dozen years but then what does "need" have to do with it :) Besides, I don't have any other project at this time so I have the time and money to do it now.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

cityfarmer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:13 pm The 10mm advantage over 45 Super is the potential for deeper penetration based on the bullet's sectional density. If you compare the Hornady's 10mm XTP 200gr vs. the 45ACP XTP 230gr the 10mm bullet has higher sectional density (0.179 vs. 0.162) so in theory if both bullets of same solid design are traveling at same speed the 10mm will give deeper penetration. I'm not sure how much penetration advantage 10mm has over 45 Super in real life flesh and bone but I know several people who load and use 250 gr SWC bullets which has sectional density of about 0.175 @ 1,100 fps in 45 Colt revolvers and get complete penetration on large (200+ lb.) hogs from any angle. IMHO this is sufficient penetration for practically any large animal in lower 48 states except maybe brown bears and moose.
As an avid hunter, shooter, hand loader and tinkerer I'm in the planning stages of replacing my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt revolver with 1911 and Glock pistol capable of similar performance. I'm planning to converting a 1911 Government pistol and a 3rd generation Glock 21SF to shoot 45 Super. My goal is to safely shoot 230gr Hornady XTP or similar bullet at velocities of 1,200fps from these pistols.
My decision to go with 45 Super instead of 10mm is simply based on my previous experience...back in late 1980's and early 1990's I had a Colt Delta Elite and Auto Ordinance in 10mm and played with them a lot. I loaded and shot thousands of 10mm rounds from mild to wild through these two pistol. Eventually the Colt's barrel link broke along with several other small parts and the AO frame developed a crack around the slide stop hole. I ended up selling the Colt to a gunsmith friend and the AO slide was put on a cheap cast frame that I out together and sold. I didn't have much experience with Glock 20 as I have short fingers so it never fit my hand correctly.
I'm in the process of converting a 1911 to 45 super so I'd be interested in your progress in doing the same.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

There is no 10mm vs unless it is vs Iran or vs North Korea...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

While I probably wouldn't turn down a G20 (or other 10mm) if it were given to me, or a deal so good I just couldn't pass it up....

I'll likely stick with the HK USP 45 and maybe pick up a box of 45 Super in addition to some more +P rounds. Standard pressure 45acp is fine for my area but it would be interesting to have a box of 45 Super simply for the experience with the caliber. With 45acp, +P and Super as options the 10mm really isn't on the need list at all anymore (not that it ever really was on the 'need' list).
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".