10MM/45 Super

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: 10MM

Post by Ronin.45 »

Just like every other gun choice, you'll get lots of people who automatically go bigger whether they can shoot it or not. I've stated in other threads about sometimes more is not necessary and can even be detrimental. Too many people pick a gun they aren't capable of shooting.
In most defense situations, ammo selection and shot placement are more important than caliber. If you're getting assaulted, a well placed 9mm double tap with Gold Dots is better than sloppy 45ACP. A 500s&w with 440gr hard cast will definitely put a bear down. However, few people can shoot it properly. 44mag is a much better decision for a revolver. It has more controllability, better capacity, and a better selection of ammo choices. It's still not easy to shoot well though. There are many people who can't handle 44mag. Mastering a heavy recoiling revolver is not easy.
When you start thinking about "enough" power, the 10mm looks pretty good. A Glock 20 with stout loads is much more controllable for the average shooter. It also has huge advantages in capacity and weight. Being able to hit multiple times fast can trump a giant bullet that you struggle to shoot twice.
I am a 45Super fan because it can be fired out of a 45ACP with minimal mods. My old Glock 21 with Storm Lake threaded barrel and heavier recoil spring can run Buffalo Bore 255s just fine. It might not hold up to a thousand rounds a year, but a box a season won't even phase it. Those loads compare very favorably to 10mm. Obviously trading extra weight for velocity, but still being more than "enough".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

So putting some more thought into this topic, and considering the comments and videos, I think getting something like a Glock 21 would be the best all around choice. With a G21 (preferably Gen 4) I have 45acp and have access to/could convert to 45 Super, 40 Super and 10mm. Pretty versatile platform. Not that I'd likely need those calibers for typical concerns in the woods but if I have it...I have it.

So I may start looking towards a G21.4, perhaps a police trade-in at a good price. I'd likely make that my woods carry pistol and just have to decide if I want it to be a stock 45acp (or +P) or convert to 10mm or one of the Super choices. I think if 45acp is a popular choice in Alaska that it would be more than sufficient in Florida.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I would feel pretty comfortable with a G21 loaded with a solid, hot round. Buffalo Bore makes their Outdoorsman series with a 255gr hard cast at 925fps. That's basically a standard 45Colt load.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:57 pm I would feel pretty comfortable with a G21 loaded with a solid, hot round. Buffalo Bore makes their Outdoorsman series with a 255gr hard cast at 925fps. That's basically a standard 45Colt load.
How is that load out of a Glock? I know lead isn’t recommended in Glock barrel, how about hard cast?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

David wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:17 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:57 pm I would feel pretty comfortable with a G21 loaded with a solid, hot round. Buffalo Bore makes their Outdoorsman series with a 255gr hard cast at 925fps. That's basically a standard 45Colt load.
How is that load out of a Glock? I know lead isn’t recommended in Glock barrel, how about hard cast?
Hard cast doesn't lead up like soft lead, but I've only ever shot it out of a Storm Lake barrel. You can tell a difference with heavier loads like this, but they aren't abusive to the gun or you. If you want to shoot the 45Super loads you'll need to get a heavier recoil spring minimum.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:35 pm Hard cast doesn't lead up like soft lead, but I've only ever shot it out of a Storm Lake barrel. You can tell a difference with heavier loads like this, but they aren't abusive to the gun or you. If you want to shoot the 45Super loads you'll need to get a heavier recoil spring minimum.
Thank you. I went over to UW's website and saw this load which, according to reviews, looks good out of Glocks.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019 ... pid=850433

Underwood Ammunition 45 ACP +P 255 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose @ 925 fps and 484 fpe.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Looks like the same basic load so would be a good choice in ACP.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

As a side note. I shoot a lot of lead with the stock glock barrel...

two things are important; 1) proper hardness of lead 2) proper size for barrel.
If the bullet is to small the gasses can work around bullet and that can melt the lead leading to leading.

Most of these issues are easily fixed these days by polymer coating bullets ( bought or self done )
Nice thing is diff loads can be color coated / coded
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

tom mac wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:15 am As a side note. I shoot a lot of lead with the stock glock barrel...

two things are important; 1) proper hardness of lead 2) proper size for barrel.
If the bullet is to small the gasses can work around bullet and that can melt the lead leading to leading.

Most of these issues are easily fixed these days by polymer coating bullets ( bought or self done )
Nice thing is diff loads can be color coated / coded
You just wanted to say "leading to leading" haha.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

yes I've been found out!
You can't fix stupid !