Cash on hand...

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
ratf51
Board Founder

Cash on hand...

Post by ratf51 »

What would be your minimum for cash on hand for emergency prep? Considering that there is a wide variety of income levels what do you think would be an amount that you would recommend that would be doable by most people? As for me, my minimum sweet spot is $300; what I would recommend would be at least $100 and that in smaller bills-- $1s, $5s, $10s. And for more clarification-- I am speaking of cash that you tuck away for true emergencies not just your routine wallet cash.

Case in point (sort of): After my mother-in-law died my wife and her sisters were going through her closets. She had several different handbags that she rotated for daily use. They were sifting through the current one and discovered a $100 dollar bill tucked away in a small pocket of the bag. The next bag they went through, same thing. At this point they realized that they needed to be more meticulous in going through the bags. As it turned out, there were about 4 or 5 bags that had $100 dollar bills stowed in them. My mother-in-law had that cash there for emergencies. She knew that whatever bag she was using there was $100 at hand if she needed it.

Just some food for thought. Or should I say: a penny for your thoughts?
aerynsun

Re: Cash on hand...

Post by aerynsun »

In many 3rd world countries small bills are at a premium
I'd say for a prep about 1,000. in 1/5/10s also, some coins.
When the SHTF you might want to make last minute purchases before WROL happens and banks/atms/credit cards might have problems.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I go w/ $500. And definitely a mix of small bills.

But...

Also have Silver on hand
Also have Bitcoin on hand
Also have barter items on hand (Bullets & Booze)

Here is a key item....and handy to have a few - Keep a prepaid Visa on hand (Or three). NOT everyone accepts cash!
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Have over 300 in singles and some extras in 5s and 10s.... every now and then when there's extra I put it away.

Remember that a short time ago ( sandy ), when there was no power so there was no CC, cash was still good at local stores
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:21 pm I go w/ $500. And definitely a mix of small bills.

But...

Also have Silver on hand
Also have Bitcoin on hand
Also have barter items on hand (Bullets & Booze)

Here is a key item....and handy to have a few - Keep a prepaid Visa on hand (Or three). NOT everyone accepts cash!
+1 on the barter items as well. We've all talked about precious metals and alcohol but we now see that something as simple as TP could be a valuable prep/barter item. And of course skills, particularly medical and defense.

For on hand cash we keep quite a bit in the safe. On hand I have to confess that I rarely have any cash on my person. I should rectify that though. Probably good to have at least a $20 folded up and tucked away in the wallet if not $50 or $100 for emergencies.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

April 23, 2020. Ace Hardware. Guess what? The credit card checkout is not working! This happens about once a month at different stores. Have cash always.

ATM card was stolen and used by person(s) unknown. Gave up card and convenience of ATM machine for going and cashing a check for $1000 every few months to have cash.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

I like the idea of the prepaid credit card. Not something that has occurred to me. I can see that it would have its place in the mix.

Barter is good, although I would be hesitant about using ammo as a barter item. I would only use ammo with people I know well. I am seriously considering beginning to stock up on an assortment of spirits (the alcohol type, not the ghost type.) I don't drink as such (a bottle of cider maybe once or twice a year and wine only under duress) but I can see its usefulness in a variety of fashions. Many home remedies rely on some form of alcoholic component.

I generally keep very little cash on my person. This has made me rethink that so I am trying to maintain at least 40-50 dollars in the wallet right now.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

We keep cash at home also, but in the wallet is 300 tucked and whatever in the main to be used section and the prepaid card usually used for the gas pump.
Once in awhile the 300 gets used if I come across a good deal on something I really want/need= I hate missing out on something because I had to run for cash.
... Just a Dude...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Gnepig wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:58 pm We keep cash at home also, but in the wallet is 300 tucked and whatever in the main to be used section and the prepaid card usually used for the gas pump.
Once in awhile the 300 gets used if I come across a good deal on something I really want/need= I hate missing out on something because I had to run for cash.

Well, of course. That's what preps are for - emergencies! Like I had to go and buy an all tube 18 watt guitar amp head this one time that was on Craigslist before it was gone!!!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Prepaid Card - consider that you might lose your wallet or have it stolen, but have your bag/phone and internet access, but not be near your bank.

Just like gun calibers - go deep on a couple, but have a breadth of options too.