Reloading 9mm

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
David
Administrator

Reloading 9mm

Post by David »

I think I've asked this before quite a while ago but don't remember the discussion, so tossing it out again for comments. I know it's probably a good idea to get into reloading from a self-reliance perspective. I listen to some of you guys chatting about it. I know the suggestions are probably going to be get this or that set up. However, I'm thinking along the lines of the Lee Loader. I know it's a lot slower but that's okay. I'm not looking for speed production, just the ability to get my feet wet. My main question is would it be worth it to load 9mm? From a cost perspective is it any cheaper than just finding a deal on 9mm (normal times of course)? And if it really isn't all that big of a savings would it still be a good idea to at least have something like the Lee Loader on hand to get some experience and at least have the ability to reload?

I see these Lee Loaders for less than $40. Just glancing at small pistol primer prices I'm seeing 1000 for mid-30's or so. Don't know if that's normal prices or if they've jumped up due to the panic? I do see a lot are out of stock right now. What about bullets? Haven't priced any yet, thinking fmj for the most part. So don't really know if it's cost effective or not. Maybe it depends on how much I want to reload?

Thoughts welcome.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Reloading 9mm

Post by David »

I went ahead and ordered a Lee Classic loader in 9mm. Figured I would give it a go and get some experience. Suggestions on primers, powder and bullets welcome. Links would be great.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

I've gotten a lot of my stuff here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-supplies/c?cid=9315

Seems to be out of a lot of stuff and prices of primers are a little up there but plenty of projectiles at regular ok prices. Midways powder prices are not bad either, just not a lot to chose from currently.
Have gotten a lot from gun shows= you pay just a little more but no hazmat fee/shipping and sometimes no taxes with cash.

There is surely powders, primers and projectiles to be had on armslist or gunbroker but at a slightly more inflated price.
Some local gun shops have reloading stuff for sale but don't go there thinking you will get a deal. Again you won't have to pay a hazmat fee/shipping buying locally.

Not sure what hazmat fee's are now but they used to be $30 bucks plus the shipping.

There are plenty more online sites to shop, this is just the last one that I have bought stuff from. All of the others I used to deal with are lost in time, stored on a computer I no longer have.

Now the advice: Get the Lee reloading manual= it is very informative but most of all Lee does not make powders= so they are not bias! They list the powder values for many different brands- not limited to just one.
... Just a Dude...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

9mm ammo has always been (except during the panic) available and fairly cheap in cost particularly before the virus and will be again afterwards. I have cases of it stashed away and never found a need or desire to reload it. Having said that I do have about 400 9 mm bullets a friend gave me years ago. If I ever did reload it I would probably set up a progressive loader. It is pretty tedious to load large quantities of it by hand.
Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

A lot of reloading supplies are up , just like everything else....
I do reload, but at this time 9mm is just about a push for buying so even tho I have dies, I don't do it.
My prices run about .15 per with my current stocks of loading
Also if going to buy, try a buy powder/primers in bulk as the hazmat fees are spread over the entire package so it's not a large hit.

First thing as mention is to read... ABCs of reloading and a Lyman reloading manual ( not to mention a few others if possible )
Hornady – Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading
Hodgdon Powder Co. – Annual Reloading Manual
Barnes Reloading Manual Number 30745

Second is to get someone with knowledge to get you thru the basics.

Third is a loader and accessory equipment... many recommend a single stage, but I always say a Lee Classic Turret ( which can start as a single stage and then change to a turret in about 10 secs )

Then move slow... Prob one of my best tips is to use a powder that fills over 60% of the case so a double fill will overflow.
You can't fix stupid !
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Talk to your local competition shooters. They reload tens of thousands of rounds a year and can point you to the best deals. Always buy in bulk and look for sales just like any other purchase. Pick a common powder and get it in the biggest jug you can find. Often buying powder and primers locally can be cheaper due to hazmat fees. Plated bullets are cheaper than jacketed and work quite well for plinking or competition. Online sources like Rocky Mountain Reloading and Berry's can get bulk bullets down in the 7-8¢ range. Once again, the comp shooters might have a local dealer that can get these pretty cheap and save you a ton on shipping.
In regular times, reloading plated bullets is about $120/1000. With good plinking ammo available for $160/1000, it's not super cost effective to reload 9mm. If you figure any value for your time and amortization of equipment, it can take years for a casual shooter to just break even. Of course, the more you shoot the better it gets.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Appreciate all the info guys. I figure it this way, the Lee Classic was only $36 to get my feet wet. I know it isn't a fast method but that's okay. This way I can get some experience and then down the road if I want to advance in equipment I still have the Classic which is portable. They don't make one for 40 S&W which is kinda odd, so down the road I'd have to advance in order to load it. But by then I'll have some knowledge and experience to draw on. I'll have to look locally for primers and powder and see what is available. Then compare with online to see what kind of range I'm looking at. I'll probably be picking everyone's brain down the road.

:)

aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 pm I went ahead and ordered a Lee Classic loader in 9mm. Figured I would give it a go and get some experience. Suggestions on primers, powder and bullets welcome. Links would be great.
I'm sorry I missed your post before you bought.

I like Lee products. Many people will put them down and tell you to go to Dillon.

You need more then what you just bought before you begin.
Reloading Manuals ... get at least 2
https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-man ... ?cid=19845

Scale to check the weight of your charge
Eye protection
Caliper

I would have recommended you get the basic progressive.
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Pr ... B07RHVTXR4
Last edited by aerynsun on Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Midway is usually on the high side of prices.
Shop around
https://www.wideners.com/

https://www.natchezss.com/reloading.htmll

Reloading usually makes sense if you shoot a lot or loading a special caliber.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

NOOOO... friends don't let friend buy a Pro 1000

To much trouble/ to much tinkering... I can load more ( or equal ) on the Lee classic turret as my 1000 in same time.
You can't fix stupid !