DIY hand sanitizer

Here you can post your DIY projects or links/videos.
David
Administrator

DIY hand sanitizer

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: DIY hand sanitizer

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Great thread Dave!

So, you are saying I can make me some hand sanitizer with all of this:

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:07 am Great thread Dave!

So, you are saying I can make me some hand sanitizer with all of this:

Yep :)

I have several large aloe vera plants in the backyard so I have a nice source for the gel. I'm seeing that you really need the 91% strength alcohol. Maybe the 70% alcohol gets diluted to far down when combined with another ingredient? So the Dollar Store 50% probably isn't going to be the go-to though I'm sure it would be fine for other uses?

May be interesting to see some research on various strength iso alcohols to see what is effective for what...

David
Administrator

Post by David »

https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/why ... -used-for/

From the article;
Isopropyl alcohol, particularly in solutions between 60% and 90% alcohol with 10 – 40% purified water, is rapidly antimicrobial against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Once alcohol concentrations drop below 50%, usefulness for disinfection drops sharply. Notably, higher concentrations of alcohol don’t generate more desirable bactericidal, virucidal, or fungicidal properties.

The presence of water is a crucial factor in destroying or inhibiting the growth of pathogenic microorganisms with isopropyl alcohol. Water acts as a catalyst and plays a key role in denaturing the proteins of vegetative cell membranes. 70% IPA solutions penetrate the cell wall more completely which permeates the entire cell, coagulates all proteins, and therefore the microorganism dies. Extra water content slows evaporation, therefore increasing surface contact time and enhancing effectiveness. Isopropyl alcohol concentrations over 91% coagulate proteins instantly. Consequently, a protective layer is created which protects other proteins from further coagulation.

Solutions > 91% IPA do kill bacteria, but sometimes require longer contact times for disinfection, and enable spores to lie in a dormant state without being killed. In this analysis, a 50% isopropyl alcohol solution kills Staphylococcus Aureus in less than 10 seconds (pg. 238), yet a 90% solution with a contact time of over two hours is ineffective. Some disinfectants will kill spores, which are classified as chemical sterilants. So why do higher alcohol solutions yield fewer results for bactericidal and antimicrobial outcomes?

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

What about Hydrogen Peroxide?
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

No. From the CDC: Other studies demonstrated the antiviral activity of hydrogen peroxide against rhinovirus 665. The time required for inactivating three serotypes of rhinovirus using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution was 6–8 minutes;

So, there you are standing at the sink with your hands in a container of 3% for 6-8 minutes!
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I pass this along. I went to the barber shop before it closed down, again, this week. I notice a case of 4 1 gallon 70% isopropyl containers. Never thought that a barber shop bought that stuff.

I had been getting 1 gallon containers at Smart and Final, an institutional supply company. It was about $19 a gallon. The hand sanitizer was $56 a gallon not including tax. Hand sanitizer is 70% isopropyl with a smidgen of liquid soap. That company has been out for months. Rather than driving to get alcohol, the next time I need it, I will have the barber shop add to its order.

I spray the home surfaces, switches, water handles, computer key board, doors with 70% isopropyl l at least once a week. Then I do it to the car surfaces that I touch.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:36 pm I pass this along. I went to the barber shop before it closed down, again, this week. I notice a case of 4 1 gallon 70% isopropyl containers. Never thought that a barber shop bought that stuff.

I had been getting 1 gallon containers at Smart and Final, an institutional supply company. It was about $19 a gallon. The hand sanitizer was $56 a gallon not including tax. Hand sanitizer is 70% isopropyl with a smidgen of liquid soap. That company has been out for months. Rather than driving to get alcohol, the next time I need it, I will have the barber shop add to its order.

I spray the home surfaces, switches, water handles, computer key board, doors with 70% isopropyl l at least once a week. Then I do it to the car surfaces that I touch.
Good source!