Glock thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Glock thread

Post by David »

I'm getting a hankering for a Glock 45 (model, not the caliber. Although I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a Glock in 45acp). I had the opportunity to get another 19X this morning but didn't want to make the hour+ drive to pick it up blue label. Also had the opportunity to pick up a G45 an hour+ in the other direction but it sold before I could return the email.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I like the 45 over the 19x. Makes a bunch of sense as a suppressor host.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:24 pm I like the 45 over the 19x.
Speaking of the G45... :lol:

This is the one I picked up this afternoon. Like I mentioned in the 'New Gun' thread, I had intended to get another 19X but it had sold (blue label). But this G45 blue label was available with the three 17-round mags and factory night sights. And I've been thinking about one anyway. So I bought it and shot it at the Outlaw match about an hour and a half later. Just put the normal recommended 6 drops of oil and ran it in the match. By the fourth stage I feel like I got it dialed in for the most part with Alphas on 17 out of 19 targets and the Charles on the other two were just a tad off of being Alphas. No malfunctions. Very happy about the pistol and it felt great in the hand.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Looks nice. I have thought about picking up the G45, but as you know everything has been is such short supply and I don't 'need' (wife's word, not mine) one, so I will wait.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 am Looks nice. I have thought about picking up the G45, but as you know everything has been is such short supply and I don't 'need' (wife's word, not mine) one, so I will wait.
I actually went there to buy another 19X but the one they had blue label sold before I got there. Fortunately they had the G45 on blue label. Since it's basically almost the same thing, and since I'd thought about getting one anyway it wasn't a wasted trip. Since I was able to shoot it later the same day in the Outlaw match it worked out well.

I like the pistol and will work this into the carry rotation, leaving the 19X's for HD. I'm conditioning a new leather holster for it right now. So overall it gives me options. Do I want/need a small, high capacity 9mm? P365. Do I want a high capacity 9mm? G45. Do I want to carry a 40S&W? HK USPc. Pocket pistol? LCP(II). The rest is set up for HD.

Also the G45 will fit the PCC go-bag perfectly as it shares the same mags as the Sub 2K. And even better than the 19X since they made the 19X with that odd lip that doesn't accept Gen 5 G17 mags. So overall, as much as I like the 19X, and I do, the G45 is technically the better pistol overall.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I don't know if any of them will ever replace my G19.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 pm I don't know if any of them will ever replace my G19.
When you've got something that works well for you, stick with it. You've got a lot of time in with that pistol as well which is a huge bonus.

I've come to really like the 19X/G45 size. Partly because of the Gen 2 G17 I use to carry but also, for me, it's just a tad more comfortable to grip than the G19, even the no-finger groove models. Which is probably why I like the G22.4 that I have as it's the same grip (even with the finger grooves that for whatever reason don't bother me on the full size). So now, all my Glocks have the full size grip.

The gun shop I purchased the G45 from had a box of Gen 3 G22 police trade-ins. Some had night sights, some the plastic Glock sites (which I found a little odd for police trade-ins). And each has two mags. $425 which is a bit more than I think I'd want to pay considering I could get a new one blue label for about that price. And some were a bit on the rough side as far as scratches and holster wear. But as a fun project gun it would be interesting. Maybe if it was closer to $300 it would be worth the trip. As it is, I'm passing.

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I was telling the wife now that the weather has improved, we have to find some time to get to the range. I would guess I shot less than half dozen times last year.

Need to get out and blow the cobwebs out of the pistols.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Issues with Glocks chambered in 40S&W using WML.

My post:
That is a legitimate concern. I recently mentioned in another thread a conversation I had with a retired Officer at a local PD. I purchased a Sig P365XL from him and when I found out he was retired P.D. and he found out I was retired S.O. we hit it off. Started chatting about guns of course and the ones we carried when we were on-duty. Interestingly enough, circa about 10+ years ago the issued agency sidearm was the Gen 4 G22. I knew (from my instructor circle) that they had had issues but I didn't know the specifics. Turns out that in addition to breakage during in-service quals they had a huge police-action shooting that made national news back around that time. IIRC, two detectives were injured/killed serving a warrant. The suspect went up into the attic and a firefight ensued. He said several of the G22.4's with WML jammed when pointed up and fired into the ceiling. When it was on the horizontal they were fine, except for parts breaking during training. But when the weapon was elevated (and had a WML) they jammed. He was one of the agency instructors involved in the situation. Apparently, Glock at first wasn't very helpful with the situations i.e. plausible deniability. However, it was serious enough after the shooting that Glock sent reps to the agency and the pistols were tested. Glock then acknowledged the problem but tried to say it was only G22's within a specific serial number range. At any rate, bye-bye to the G22's and the agency switched to the G21's.

So yes, it is a legitimate concern for a Glock 40S&W pistol with a WML. Was it just a certain batch? Was that just a Glock cover job? I don't know either way. But it is worth noting because it was serious enough for an entire 500+ member agency to completely switch issued sidearms.
Another members post on a different forum:

It is certainly not contained to a certain batch. I have had the luxury of observing a coupla hundred different G22 and G23 Gen 3's and Gen 4's in action at my department. The frustrating thing is that:

1. Some choke with a WML, some don't. These may even be sequential serial numbered guns.
2. Some don't but, as the gun ages it starts to.
3. Some lights are worse than others.
4. Some ammo causes it worse than others.
5. Some remedies i.e. mag springs, different lights, different tension on light mounts, different ammo ... work for a while and then quit working and some remedies don't work at all.

We were issuing G22 Gen 4's to Uniform and G23 Gen 4's to Non Uniformed deputies. Either way I fought this issue for a coupla years and then decided to ban WML's on .40 GLOCKs at my department. The whole situation was just to whish-washy for me and I refused to gamble with my deputies safety.

The silver lining in the cloud was that was that I was finally able to get the Sheriff to authorize personally purchased GLOCK 9mm's (G17, G19, G45 and G34) and GLOCK .45 ACP (G21, G41 for Uniform, G30, G30S for Non Uniformed). Administrators and Detectives can carry a G26 I had been trying to get him to do this anyway for a coupla years. or G27 also, if they choose.

We are in the process of changing to issued G17 and G19 Gen 5's. But all the above mention GLOCK models will still be authorized for personally purchased authorized carry. Even the G22 and G23 .... but no WML's are allowed on the .40's.

The whole situation just sucks too because I really liked the .40 S&W. Those same .40's that choked with WML's were flawless without WML's attached. But, it is what it is.

I suspect the Gen 5 .40 S&W's will remedy this situation with thier beefier frames and slides. I always felt that 9mm designed guns with .40's shoved in them was never a great idea. The .40 needs a lil more beef. Like the SIG P229, which was designed for .40, and it shows !

But, too little too late for us. We are happy with our 9mm and .45 ACP GLOCKs now. Which BTW, has absolutely zero issues with WML's.

As a side note I wanted to share an interesting experiment I did. I had 2 G23's that were horrible offenders with WMLs. These 2 G23's would not make it through one magazine without choking with a WML (flawless otherwise). I happen to own a Lone Wolf .40-9mm conversion barrel. I left those WML's on those G23's popped in the 9mm conversion barrel and a G19 mag, and I could not get them to malfunction. Both ran perfectly through a coupla hundred rounds of 9mm 115 FMJ and 124 HST's flawlessly.

DeputyDave, your story of the GLOCK .40's, with WML's, choking when fired vertically, but not horizontally is the first I heard of that phenomenon. I never even thought to test them vertically. And I did a lot of testing. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I started to have a real concern about my G22.4. Thought about selling it off or trading it. But after chatting with a couple of instructors for agencies that had issues with them using WML I had my mind put at ease. The problems mainly stemmed from using a WML. So as far as a night stand pistol the G22 is not going to be an option because I like a WML on my night stand pistol. However, as a general HD pistol it should be just fine. I like the pistol, I like the caliber. I would make a good woods carry pistol if I didn't already have my P250 in 40S&W. So I'll keep it for HD.

Just thinking out loud.