Glock thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Glock thread

Post by Bmyers »

Sights get changed to Trijicon HD sights on all the pistols. Ok, two of them, the G19s have the HD-XR, the rest are just HD.
Factory grip.
We do have WML on the about third of the pistols (all the ones setup for home defense).
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:07 am Sights get changed to Trijicon HD sights on all the pistols. Ok, two of them, the G19s have the HD-XR, the rest are just HD.
Factory grip.
We do have WML on the about third of the pistols (all the ones setup for home defense).
I like those HD sights. Very visible.

I like the normal grip texture on the 19X and G45. Haven't felt the need to add or change anything.

And I think a WML on a HD pistol is a good idea, as long as it's not a Glock chambered in 40S&W.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

For future reference:
It is certainly not contained to a certain batch. I have had the luxury of observing a coupla hundred different G22 and G23 Gen 3's and Gen 4's in action at my department. The frustrating thing is that:

1. Some choke with a WML, some don't. These may even be sequential serial numbered guns.
2. Some don't but, as the gun ages it starts to.
3. Some lights are worse than others.
4. Some ammo causes it worse than others.
5. Some remedies i.e. mag springs, different lights, different tension on light mounts, different ammo ... work for a while and then quit working and some remedies don't work at all.

We were issuing G22 Gen 4's to Uniform and G23 Gen 4's to Non Uniformed deputies. Either way I fought this issue for a coupla years and then decided to ban WML's on .40 GLOCKs at my department. The whole situation was just to whish-washy for me and I refused to gamble with my deputies safety.

The silver lining in the cloud was that was that I was finally able to get the Sheriff to authorize personally purchased GLOCK 9mm's (G17, G19, G45 and G34) and GLOCK .45 ACP (G21, G41 for Uniform, G30, G30S for Non Uniformed). Administrators and Detectives can carry a G26 or G27 also, if they choose.I had been trying to get him to do this anyway for a coupla years.

We are in the process of changing to issued G17 and G19 Gen 5's. But all the above mention GLOCK models will still be authorized for personally purchased authorized carry. Even the G22 and G23 .... but no WML's are allowed on the .40's.

The whole situation just sucks too because I really liked the .40 S&W. Those same .40's that choked with WML's were flawless without WML's attached. But, it is what it is.

I suspect the Gen 5 .40 S&W's will remedy this situation with thier beefier frames and slides. I always felt that 9mm designed guns with .40's shoved in them was never a great idea. The .40 needs a lil more beef. Like the SIG P229, which was designed for .40, and it shows !

But, too little too late for us. We are happy with our 9mm and .45 ACP GLOCKs now. Which BTW, have absolutely zero issues with WML's.

As a side note I wanted to share an interesting experiment I did. I had 2 G23's that were horrible offenders with WMLs. These 2 G23's would not make it through one magazine without choking with a WML (flawless otherwise). I happen to own a Lone Wolf .40-9mm conversion barrel. I left those WML's on those G23's popped in the 9mm conversion barrel and a G19 mag, and I could not get them to malfunction. Both ran perfectly through a coupla hundred rounds of 9mm 115 FMJ and 124 HST's flawlessly.
From 2012 until presently. We traded in our old Gen 2 .40's for Gen 4 .40's in 2012. We weren't aware of the WML problem because Gen 2's did not have light rails. We had just a few Gen 3's that were mixed in with the Gen 2's because of new hires and such, but not enough of them, and hardly any using WML's to catch our attention.

Fast forward to 2012. Everybody got a new Gen 4, either G22 or G23. WML's are becoming commonplace and BAM, the problem becomes noticed. I struggled with solutions for a coupla years. When I could not find a consistant fix, that's when we made the move towards 9mm and .45 acp.

Streamlight has been having a warning on their website for years warning about WML's on GLOCK .40's. I found it a coupla years ago when someone pointed it out to me, but I don't know how long they had it up there already. Of course it's not unique to Streamlight, but being the stand-up company they are they addressed the issue ..... more than I can say for GLOCK!

You can find that warning on Streamlight's web page. Go to TLR1 and on the TLR page you'll see a dropdown on the right that says "Product Specific Issues". I copied and pasted it below for you though:

Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols
Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions, either nose down or nose up (stovepipe), when used with tactical lights. The problems tend to occur with individual guns, with some pistols becoming totally unreliable while other identical, even close in serial number sequence, guns have no problems. Most models 22 and 23 are reliable. A sensitive gun may malfunction with any tactical light - the TLRs, the older M models, and even Glock®’s own brand. There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached. On the basis of testing by Streamlight, we believe the problem is magazine related. It appears that the rounds are unable to rise fast enough for proper cycling. We have observed proper feeding for the first few rounds, consistent failures at mid-magazine capacity, and a return to proper feeding of the last few cartridges in the magazine. We have tried both stronger and weaker recoil springs, and compound-action recoil buffers, all without success. Sometimes new magazine springs, either new Glock® or Wolff, will cure the problem. In one case of a pistol which was totally reliable when new but progressed to malfunctioning on every magazine, even with no light installed, we found two solutions which restored reliability, but which might not be acceptable to some users. The first was using 10 round capacity Glock® magazines. The gun will not cycle reliably with 15 round mags with their steeply stacked columns but works flawlessly with 10 round mags. The second solution was a new magazine follower from Brownells®, their part number 069-000-006. When used in a 15 round magazine with a new spring, reliability was restored. However, the follower would not lock the slide open after the last round. Ammunition is also a factor with any weapon. Some brands and weights may be totally reliable while others jam repeatedly. Make sure your gun is thoroughly tested with your duty ammo. Brownells® is a registered trademark of Brownells®, Inc. Glock® is a registered trademark of GLOCK Gesellschaft mbH.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Reposting this from the 'New gun' thread to keep it all together.

Wife and I took a trip down to Sarasota this morning. While we were there we stopped into Shark Coast Tactical which is the gun shop I purchased my G45 and G35. They were packed of course. Had Gen 3 Glock 21 police trade-ins for $399 so I picked one up. This is the same as my duty pistol before I retired. In total I have about 18+ years of experience with that particular model during the last part of my career.

Good shape overall. Bit of holster wear but that's to be expected. Came with night sights which are dim, but that is also to be expected. And three 13-round mags. I plan of getting a set of new night sights for it. Been wanting to get back into a 45acp, particularly in a G21 so I'm glad I was able to hit Shark Coast at the right time.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Just got back from picking up a police trade-in Glock 35 Gen 4. Excellent condition, night sights and a couple of mags for $450. Just a hint of holster wear on the front of the slide and a faint smiley on the barrel. Just doesn't look like it was shot very much. This is the first G35 I've owned. Don't even recall shooting one.

Plans are to get a 9mm conversion barrel as well as a 357sig barrel for it to make it a 3-N-1 pistol.

Figured it would be a good pistol to take to the Outlaw matches as well.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I mentioned earlier that the deal didn't come with any of the back straps or the longer roll pin so I ordered a set of Amazon. They arrived and I put on the medium beavertail this morning. That's the one that seems to feel the best for me and the one I've put on all my Glocks.

Tried it in the leather holster I have for my G45 and it fits of course although as expected it sticks out the bottom of he holster a bit. Not a huge concern although it would be possible for debris to get into the cut-out on the top of the slide if I were slogging through heavy bush. That generally isn't the plan. I'll have to try it on and see how it feels in a sitting position like sitting around the campfire with the guys. That generally IS the plan :)

I looked at the night sights again in a dark room. They aren't 'new' bright but bright enough that they don't need to be replaced any time soon I would imagine. Of more immediate need is the G21 I just bought as those sights are pretty much on their last legs.

So for the most part I'm thinking this will be my new woods carry pistol. Probably with 180 grain FN FMJ. That would get all the penetration I'd likely need in my neck of the woods.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, ordered a 9mm conversion barrel for the G35 this morning. From a vendor that gets stock overrun from various companies like Lone Wolf. It's a SS barrel, made by a company that use to make barrels for Lone Wolf and may or may not be marked with the Lone Wolf logo. $110 OTD. So I'll run it through it's paces when it arrives along with the 40S&W barrel.

From what I'm understanding, the RSA in the G35 is fine for shooting 9mm as well.

I'll likely order night sights for both the G35 and G21. The G35 night sights are 'okay' but you can tell they are starting to get dimmer. The G21 sights are on their last legs.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Scored a couple of sets of night sights for the G35 and G21 on Amazon. Truglow night sights, green front and rear. The G21 were only $47 and the G35 were $50. Thought both were a great price so I jumped on them. One day delivery on top.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Night sights arrived. Waiting on the 9mm conversion barrel which should be in the new couple/few days. Then a range trip.

I can put the front night sight on but my sight pusher is packed away for the move. I'm trying to get a hold of a buddy that works in the armory at my former agency to see if he'll pop them on but haven't gotten a hold of him yet.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Just ordered a Flat Front trigger for my G23/9mm.

I just love working on this thing!