Pistol/SBR/Rifle Go-bag

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Pistol/SBR/Rifle Go-bag

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:40 pm - Basic survival stuff (Very light...swiss knife, lighter, maybe small water bottle)
A consideration:

A small bottle of water is a good idea but it does have some limitations. First, if it opens up or leaks it could cause an issue with some of the gear (maybe) but also you lose the water. Second, probably something like a 16oz size bottle isn't going to last all that long in the Florida Summer, particularly if you're exerting yourself. Then your down to possibly drinking untreated water. So maybe look at a couple of options;

Sawyer (and others) make a water bottle with filter built in. This way, if filled, you have ready water to drink and can then source water on the go if necessary. Or, those Sawyer mini-filters are made to fit most bottled water bottles so have your 16oz water bottle and a means to filter additional.

At the very least carry a few of those disinfecting tablets or a bottle of tincture of iodine to treat any water you may have to rely on in the field.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Might just go filter straw. Maybe nothing.

It is a SHOOTING go bag...I may be over-packing.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:38 pm Might just go filter straw. Maybe nothing.

It is a SHOOTING go bag...I may be over-packing.
The Sawyer mini-filter is small/light enough it’s not going to be an issue in your bag. Around $20 at Walmart. And they’ll fit on a standard water bottle.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

So, the bag is coming along. I'll take some pics and get them up this week.

I think you all will like it!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I just ordered an M-Tac CCW sling bag off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0794 ... UTF8&psc=1

Small and pretty much 'grey man' in appearance. My wife doesn't carry her pistol (even though I'd like her to). I of course carry mine but I thought this would be something I could carry a 2nd pistol in when I feel it is appropriate/necessary/prudent. My EDC is either my Sig P365X or XL. So I could carry the one that's not on my person in the sling bag to have a compatible-mag pistol with my daily carry. And of course a couple of spare mags. This would allow me to be able to pass a pistol to my wife should it become necessary or have a spare for myself should it become necessary.

Some thought on maybe putting my Glock 45 in it but I'll have to get the bag and see how it pans out.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

The M-Tac sling bag arrived today. I think this should prove to work out quite well. As mentioned, I carry a small sling bag anyway with EDC items I've found useful over the years. It's small and very grey man but large enough for some useful items. Designed for a CCW pistol, it came with a nice velcro universal holster. I can position the holster/pistol in the main compartment in a manner that works for me because it has a fairly wide hook and loop patch. The main compartment also has loops for things such as magazines, knife, flashlight etc. The other compartments are small so some thought has to go into what they are used for. But this also helps to avoid a common EDC problem in carrying more than is actually regularly used.

As such, this sling bag would allow me, if I feel it necessary, to carry a 2nd pistol (for myself or to equip my wife), spare mags (which I had routinely in my other sling bag), a small IFAK, flashlight, spare batteries, power bank and cables and other odds and ends like chapstick, hand sanitizer, compressed napkins etc. I also always carry a Sawyer water filter that can be fit onto most standard water bottles. The IFAK is 'mostly' a boo-boo kit with various sized bandaids, wipes, aspirin etc. But I do have some specialty items such as an Israeli bandage, Israeli trauma guaze and a small stop-bleed kit and a CPR kit. It's not possible to carry a portable E.R. of course but it's been useful in the past to have a few items with you or available to you when needed.

So I'll test this out for a bit and see how well I like it. Mainly nothing new that I'm already not carrying in a small sling bag except the compartment to carry a 2nd pistol when I feel it's necessary. Right now I have it fitted with my P365X. Primary carry will be the XL.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Interested
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:13 pmInterested
The M-Tac is working out great. Same size as the sling bag I was using before. Construction seems to be very good as well. I've got the P365XL in it with a couple of additional mags, flashlight, spare batteries, power bank w/cables, boo-boo IFAK as well as a Stop Bleed kit and pressure bandages.

The holster is stiff and secure. I carry w/o a round in the chamber of the XL just to be anally safe anyway. This isn't meant as a 'quick draw' pistol, although I could be if someone wanted to roll that way. For me it's simply a secondary role pistol.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:19 am So, the bag is coming along. I'll take some pics and get them up this week.

I think you all will like it!
So where are the pics? :D

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

OMG - no pics yet?!?!?!?!