Pistol/SBR/Rifle Go-bag

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Pistol/SBR/Rifle Go-bag

Post by Ronin.45 »

Erich wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:36 pm
Ronin.45 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:23 pm I've noticed a distinct advantage with shoulder contact. I'd like to see anyone who claims otherwise run a carbine stage both ways back to back.
Of course there's an advantage to another point of contact - I don't think anyone would argue seriously that there's not.

But, apples and oranges. Let's talk cost/benefit for what's no more than a 200-yard gun for me (I have rifles for distance, but the AR pistol is for when I'm wandering in the boonies and don't want to schlep a long gun): very fast hits out to 200 with my slung-in, push-me/pull-you technique, no SBR legal BS (so I can take it out of state - which is an issue for me - without getting an AFTFE Mother-May-I permission slip), no significant recoil issues from the 300 BLK/5.56 guns I'm running that require mitigation, resulting in an absolutely tiny gun for keeping in down-low cases in the car . . . this works for me, even if it wouldn't be the best thing in a carbine stage.

I mean, your carbine is going to be at a disadvantage for accuracy compared to an unlimited benchrest railgun - but "That's not the point, my friend," as the man said. For me this is a fast gun with firepower that hits acceptably hard (give me 300 BLK over 5.56 for auto glass any day) for when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with my ass in the wind. For carbine courses and gun gaming, you're certainly better off with the stock. Home defense? I think stock-free works better.

Some examples of where I take it - I assure you I'm at least an hour from the nearest cop

The addition of a brace would make your fast, accurate gun even faster and more accurate. It also wouldn't change the weight or length much for carrying or stowing. They are still perfectly legal and any BS the ATF tries to push through will immediately be challenged in court. I'll wait for a final verdict and actual law changes before giving up the advantage of the brace.
The "carbine stage" was just a suggested demonstration of these advantages. Some people will make claims of speed or accuracy and then realize they don't know what those are when the timer is running.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Ronin.45 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:51 pm

The addition of a brace would make your fast, accurate gun even faster and more accurate. It also wouldn't change the weight or length much for carrying or stowing. They are still perfectly legal and any BS the ATF tries to push through will immediately be challenged in court. I'll wait for a final verdict and actual law changes before giving up the advantage of the brace.
The "carbine stage" was just a suggested demonstration of these advantages. Some people will make claims of speed or accuracy and then realize they don't know what those are when the timer is running.
I'm sorry: that turns out not to be the case. For what I'm doing, it's faster now that I've removed the braces that I had. The braces were poor substitutes for stocks, in my usage. (I've explained why I don't want to SBR the guns.)

(And I'm an appellate criminal lawyer: I do know where the law is - that wasn't the issue. :) )
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I think the usefulness of the brace is dependent on body size and shooting style. I can see bigger (taller, longer arms, etc.) not finding the brace as useful as a shorter/stocky built person.

The nice thing, there are lots of options and no one is locked into just one choice. Finding what works best for you is the important factor.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Any kind of brace, with a red dot or laser = Win!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

OK - the weather will be PERFECT for painting this weekend!!!!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

The Duracoat can is being shook right now!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

The parts are painted!

I painted:
Sections of the front guard (not the rails themselves)
The cheek rest tube
The pistol and fore grips
The sight cover
One magazine (Pmag Hex Mag)

Next - let it dry and assemble!!!!!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

BEHOLD!!!!!! It is Complete!!!!!!

On to the go-bag completion now....

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Nicely done Bob.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

The Duracoat dual can system worked impressively!

But, back to the go-bag. Now that the gun is done...

4 30rnd mags - (including mag shown) - check
AR Tool - Check
Folding Gerber knife - Check

Next up
- Adventure Med kit Trauma Pak III
- Paracord
- Maybe a fixed blade knife
- Basic survival stuff (Very light...swiss knife, lighter, maybe small water bottle)