The AR Pistol Thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
Bob
Board Founder

The AR Pistol Thread

Post by Bob »

I was going to do a detailed thread, but will post the full length in the Mods/Customizations sub forum. That said, let's talk about AR Pistols. Love them? Hate them? Have one? Pro's / cons?

Let's face it - they are a thing. I got one because I wanted .223/5.56 amp capability, and was looking for a fun project. Here is mine:

10" barrel
27" overall
Thordsen cheek rest
Holosun Circle-dot sight

Link to details thread: http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=274

Last edited by Bob on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: The AR Pistol Thread

Post by Ronin.45 »

I don't like short barrel 5.56 unless it's suppressed. The concussion is too abusive for my delicate ears.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Well - This could be suppressed...

I was really surprised at how much I enjoy shooting it. Ton of fun. Very fast handling. Like I said - this is my answer to an indoor 9mm PCC. For now...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Some thoughts:

Will ATF tighten down on the blade and brace stocks?
Is this a good caliber for an SBR/Pistol?
Accuracy & Range of these?
Best Ammo to use?
Blade/Brace or Cheek stocks?
9mm, 5.56, .300BO or other caliber?
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Here's mine. I built it more than 10 years ago and it has evolved ever since. It is a Stag Arms lower, no name upper, 11.5" heavy barrel. Primary Arms optic. The free float keymod hand guard and Blade brace were added a couple years ago before the M-Lok became popular. I tend to be a minimalist so not likely to hang anything on the forearm anyway.

Not really concerned about ATF changing their minds about pistol braces (unless a Democrat get elected POTUS). If so I'll simply take the blade off. I went with the heavier, longer barrel to negate recoil and flash. This one will shoot 1 moa off the bench at 100 yards. It is also pretty comfortable to shoot with the heavy barrel. If I was to do it again I would probably go with a 10 or 10.5" bbl but those weren't available when I first built it.

Last edited by Mac66 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 am Some thoughts:

Will ATF tighten down on the blade and brace stocks?
Is this a good caliber for an SBR/Pistol?
Accuracy & Range of these?
Best Ammo to use?
Blade/Brace or Cheek stocks?
9mm, 5.56, .300BO or other caliber?
They could always change their view on braces since it's not a law, but an opinion letter. How we have allowed the ATF to make rules based on random opinions without going through any lawmaking processes is beyond me.
I prefer the Tailhook brace because it's super solid and gives a longer LOP with the matching KAK tube.
Accuracy depends more on the quality of your barrel than length. Only way to tell is to test it.
You'll still be able to shoot at any distance you normally would. The reduced velocity will obviously increase drop at distance.
Short barrels work better with pistol calibers than anything else, but rifle calibers are still quite effective at the reduced velocity. They really shine with subsonic ammo where you can push the heaviest bullets to 1050fps or so.
As I posted above, the increased muzzle blast with 5.56 or even Supersonic 300Blk is obnoxiously loud and unpleasant to be around. They aren't even allowed at our indoor matches because they require double ear protection for everyone and the muzzle blast damages our barricades and props. The only exception is if they are suppressed of course.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Mac raises a very important issue: It fits in a very non-descript tennis racket case!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

What would the ultimate round to fire from one of these be (weight, bullet type) and at what speed/distance???
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I can't say anything past the application. .177 and .22 units. Pump powered only, not gas operated. I expect would handle squirrels in a tree. If the round didn't kill, the fall would. I tried pump rifle on near opossum. Ineffective in .177.

Now, if you have the super expensive gas powered rifle units, they can take a cape buffalo.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:22 pm What would the ultimate round to fire from one of these be (weight, bullet type) and at what speed/distance???
I think the "ultimate" round would really depend on the application. If I had to pick a single cartridge, I'd prefer a 110gr Vor-Tx 300blk at about 2000fps. It could handle anything from HD to hunting at contact distance to about 200yards.