So, how many days

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
tom mac
Board Founder

Re: So, how many days

Post by tom mac »

bdcochran wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:53 am They will be miserable.
And that will come back to you.... :)

I have almost all of my add-ons trained to shoot, and I told them don't show up unless you bring all supplies with you.
Luckily, they listened to dad and have supplies too.

Neighbors will be the issue here.
You can't fix stupid !
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Neighbors will be the issue here.

Here too. No skill sets. Mostly elderly. The apartment complexes with gang members are 8 blocks away. Oh well.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

So...whenever a disaster topic comes up the Ex always says 'I'll just come over to your house."

I believe she thinks that since I'll take the kids in that I'll also take care of her. This thinking would be wrong. I should probably mention it....

Nah - to see her expression will be worth it.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

LOL
You can't fix stupid !
cityfarmer

Post by cityfarmer »

Typically around April we stock enough food stuff for my family for 30+ days during hurricane season. I count on what we have in refrigerator/freezer for 5 days and rest is cans, dry, freeze dried and MRE. More importantly we keep enough water for 30+ days (100+ gallons). In August or September we clean out the pantry and rotate can food so older ones come to front and see how much we have in stock. My wife cleaned the pantry recently and we have found that our stock has gone down this year as kids and wife are home everyday so more home made lunch and dinner this year using up more from our stock. It's restocked now back to 30+ days level. Another important product is disposable plates, cups, utensils, etc. so you don't waste water.
In addition to food you'll want to have sufficient supplies of medicine, hygiene products, cleaning products, fuel, etc.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

And it is time to start asking this question again...

How many days???
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

Bob wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:54 pm And it is time to start asking this question again...

How many days???
That question brings back memories. Back in the day on the GT forum there was a guy named Gun Kid - a real life low life.

His plan was to have enough guns and ammo to take what he needed from those that had food etc. There are many out there now, who are not as bold to tell their plans on a forum these days.

Anyone who looks well fed and prepared will be a target. You should be considering how little you will eat so you lose weight and look like the others. If you can't lose weight; consider buying bigger clothes so you look like you lost weight.

Go gray or go home.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:30 pm
Bob wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:54 pm And it is time to start asking this question again...

How many days???
That question brings back memories. Back in the day on the GT forum there was a guy named Gun Kid - a real life low life.

His plan was to have enough guns and ammo to take what he needed from those that had food etc. There are many out there now, who are not as bold to tell their plans on a forum these days.

Anyone who looks well fed and prepared will be a target. You should be considering how little you will eat so you lose weight and look like the others. If you can't lose weight; consider buying bigger clothes so you look like you lost weight.

Go gray or go home.
I remember that guy, and that post. Real piece of work!

Unfortunately, there are people like him that aren’t brazen/stupid enough to put it on the net. So yeah, grey man is definitely the way to go.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

"How many days?"

The answer has a number of dimensions:
1. your access to water, fuel, food.
2. who you have to support within your circle.

So let's take something from your experience. You read the paper. A person drives off a cliff and is trapped in his car. How long can he live? Not very long without medical treatment, water, food, warmth

So, you just went through some 2 years of partial shutdowns and disruptions. So, just on an individual level, if you assume that you will not have access to clean water pumped to the house, fuel being delivered to the house, not having access to your regular prescription medications, and not having a car to get to a closed grocery or liquor store. Disregard a severe medical injury, the assistance of your neighbors, assistance from relatives who do live with you, how many days can you go?

If you are urban, you understand that there will be a tremendous die off and suffering with about three weeks. Thereafter, waterborne diseases will become rampant. You may disregard the immediate threat of fire and thieves for purposes of calculations.

After the lengthy analysis, my answer is that you have to be CAPABLE of being the gray man for 3-4 weeks and after that time, if you have not generated or participated within a mutual support group, you will not last more than another few weeks.

Harsh reality. About 10 years ago, I was outside the military base at 29 Palms tracking animals. 200 years ago, no more than a dozen Indians were living within 20 miles of where I stood. That weekend, there were 28,000 people living in the 29 Palms area. The only local, non military residents who were going to survive any length of time had to already have the plans for water and the food stockpiled to last. Most would not have more than a few days of food. You are not going to farm, plant a garden, build a cabin, reload ammunition or have a garage sale whether you live in 29 Palms, Michigan, Florida and particularly if you are retired with any energy less than that of a 20 year old.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Interesting question.

If I understood correctly, I don't have to worry about robbery or any natural disaster such as fire, etc.

Food wise, we are setup for us to go 3 months easy, then stretching it further. We have enough rice that we could eat it for a year everyday for the family, yet that would get old, but better than go hungry. We keep enough multivitamins on hand for at least one year with each of use taking a daily dose (we rotate old in and buy new to make sure we have the longest lasting).

As far as water, I feel lucky because we live in the Midwest with multiple water sources with the Mississippi being within walking distance. Yet, with the sources you better have ways of purifying it, which we have multiple ways to do such that.

As far as health goes, been working on my own with regular gym trips and improving my overall condition. I take one prescription pill and I could survive without it. My wife would struggle without her meds, but she could make it. My dad at 75 would have more difficult time without his medicine.

The best outcome for us would be the event to occur during the winter months. It sounds selfish, but it would kill off more quicker and when Spring hits there would be less competition for resources.

The biggest challenge would to stay low profile so know one knows that you are truly making it. Cause then they will becoming for your stuff.