So, how many days

Recipes, freeze-dried, deydrated and all food related threads.
aerynsun

Re: So, how many days

Post by aerynsun »

tom mac wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:44 am Yes, got to watch the calories on some of sold items esp in the emergency section... many are based on a lower calorie per day count and that can lead to issues... some as low as 1200 per day
Study done

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota ... Experiment
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

aerynsun wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:26 pm
tom mac wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:44 am Yes, got to watch the calories on some of sold items esp in the emergency section... many are based on a lower calorie per day count and that can lead to issues... some as low as 1200 per day
Study done

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota ... Experiment
Wow, that's interesting.

I think one of the things people (and this study) doesn't take into account is that a person can train themselves to go without food. The practice of fasting is known to be quite healthy and using it can cut back caloric intake significantly. Plus it trains one to go without food for periods of time. I routinely do 24 hour fasts and have done several 72 hour ones. Once you recognize the phases your body goes through during prolonged fasts it's much easier to go through one. I often go to my cabin for and don't eat anything (just water and coffee) while I'm there. I am also working quite hard cutting wood, clearing trails etc. Yes, I get hungry but I know what it feels like and it doesn't bother me since I've done it enough times.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

+1 for the practice of fasting. I don’t remember the gentleman’s name, but the book I read suggested a 1 day fast every week, a 3 day fast once every three months and a 7 day fast once a year. After you’ve built up to it of course.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

How many days?
At 2000 calories per day x 2 about 730 days, we have a bunch of the 25 year stable buckets... Of corse this changes if/when kids and who ever they bring show up.
... Just a Dude...
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Just upped my game another 30 days: Now 133 Man-days minimum!

Or two people for 2 months clean + a few days or couple weeks...
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

We aren't stacked too deep. Around 30 days.
Always a chance at a deer in our small apple orchard. If any disaster goes past 30 days, people will be eating each other.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I don't know how much I have and the explanation is simple.

In January, I prepared for the shutdown that I anticipated would be coming. It was at that time that I realized I might have to be in the position of giving canned food to MORE extended relatives. Of course, it was clear to me that I would give the lesser desired food to those people. Fortunately, this did not happen.

Happily, I relate that the addition to the stockpile included 8 cases of top quality canned beef stew at sale prices not seen since January. :roll:
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

We really need to have a discussion about this whole "Don't know how many I'll need to feed" thing....
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Bob wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:47 am We really need to have a discussion about this whole "Don't know how many I'll need to feed" thing....
Agreed. People know if they plan on showing up at my door, they better bring supplies with them. The last thing I need during some kind of apocalyptic situation is to open up a soup kitchen.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I will respond to the unexpected numbers. There are two adult males potentially in that group. One has upwards of 15 firearms and no ammunition. The other has none. Both are now receiving trust income that you would like to get. Neither has any skills or food cached.

In response to the "then stuff it" attitude, ok, then I tell their mom to stuff it as well.

I offered to set up my sister about 20 years ago. She lives nearly within walking distance. Her response was "no, don't set me up. If there is a problem, I will simply come to your house." Then, I am supposed to tell her to stuff it as well.

I always look on the bright side. If shtf, I don't eat sardines or spam. They will eat it. I will eat canned stew. They can eat the oatmeal and the offbrand old canned veggies. They can mess around trying to bake bread while I eat the hardtack that I have put aside. They will be miserable.