40 S&W vs. 357sig

A section to discuss firearms ballistics (as well as air rifles and other types of projectiles).
David
Administrator

40 S&W vs. 357sig

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: 40 S&W vs. 357sig

Post by David »

As far as penetration through wood, the 357sig outperformed the 40 S&W in terms of regular off the shelf WWB FMJ's (180 vs. 125).
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Those video are very interesting. Paul Harrell has a good video comparison between the 40 and 357 sig. I've never really looked at or considered the Sig. May have to look at a conversion barrel for my Glock 22
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I’ve looked at Lucky Gunners testing on various calibers. Compared to 9mm, sometimes the 357sig has better penetration and/or expansion and sometimes the 9mm actually is better in one or both of those areas. The 357sig will be better in overall velocity and energy. I have a long running thread on GT on both these rounds for a wood carry pistol. The poll has always been in favor of the 40 but really, the 357sig isn’t a slouch by any means. If you want a round that would have exceptional penetration qualities and lots of energy the 357sig is a very strong contender.

How would it compare with other calibers on typical woods threats, you guys tell me. Would a 9mm sized bullet weighing 115 or 125 grains doing 1400+ FPS be a valid or even strong consideration? If so, to what level of threat? It can’t match the heaviest 357 magnum rounds overall, but in other typical weights (115, 125 & 147) it isn’t too far off from a magnum. And of course barrel length has some bearing on the overall. If you’d feel comfortable carrying a 357 magnum as a woods gun, how about a 357sig?

@ Mac, yeah, I think it would be worth it to get a 357 conversion barrel to have access to a 3-n-1 pistol. Normal online prices, pre-panic, weren’t as terrible as I had previously thought. The caliber would be more popular though if it were more widely available at prices consistent with say 40 S&W.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I don’t know what they carry now, but Alaska troopers use to carry 357sig.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Makes me feel fortunate that the P2000 I got a couple of months ago came with both a 40 and 357sig barrel. According to the video HK has discontinued them? I’ll have to look into that.