HK Thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: HK Thread

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

That guy gets it...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:08 pm Think my HK itch has been scratched :D

Traded for an HK USP Compact V1 9mm tonight.

If the deal goes thru tomorrow, I’m going to pick up a USP 40 compact complete slide and mag for my USP 9 compact. I had no idea that the frames were the same for 9/40/357 USP compact slides and you could mix/match slides but I called HK and they confirmed it. This will give me a 2-in-1 pistol. I would be tempted to put it into the EDC rotation after adding night sights and getting additional mags.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Yep. Because, well, HK....Suck on that GLOCK!

But Dave, HK actually TALKED TO YOU??????

By the way - this is an expensive habit. I have only one other HK I will purchase, and I will do it without hesitation, thus I shall not name it.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:06 pm If the deal goes thru tomorrow, I’m going to pick up a USP 40 compact complete slide and mag for my USP 9 compact. I had no idea that the frames were the same for 9/40/357 USP compact slides and you could mix/match slides but I called HK and they confirmed it. This will give me a 2-in-1 pistol. I would be tempted to put it into the EDC rotation after adding night sights and getting additional mags.
I think I mentioned elsewhere that the deal did go through and I bought that complete USPc upper in 40 S&W. Only think I'll need to do at some point is add night sights. I ordered a couple more HK mags for it that came in the mail today. That gives me 7 total in 40 S&W for this pistol (since the mags are the same as the P2000 in 40 S&W). And I have two USPc mags for it in 9mm and the P30 mags in 9mm will also fit, they'll just stick out a bit which is fine.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Did you ask HK if it was "Fine"

I don't think they will approve....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well...they made them that way so I figured it would be fine :)

It's a hard choice deciding which I like better for 40 S&W, my P2000 or USPc. The P2000 has a sweet DAO V2 trigger pull. The USPc has some features I also like such as a nice DA/SA trigger and safety/de-cocker. I'll have to shoot them side by side. I still need to add night sights to the USPc. I might just swap the night sights on the 9mm slide over to the 40 slide since I won't be using the 9mm slide all that much, if at all.

Either is a good pistol to EDC if I want to carry a 40 instead of one of my 9mm's.

Horskinator

Post by Horskinator »

Well after reading this and hearing all the great reviews of the HK I am putting the USPc 9mm or 45 ACP on my short list of pistol purchases. It will be awhile unless I can steal one somewhere. I would consider the .40s&w but I do try to keep things simple and adding another caliber would defeat that purpose.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Horskinator wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:03 pm Well after reading this and hearing all the great reviews of the HK I am putting the USPc 9mm or 45 ACP on my short list of pistol purchases. It will be awhile unless I can steal one somewhere. I would consider the .40s&w but I do try to keep things simple and adding another caliber would defeat that purpose.
For the longest time I didn't give a second glance to HK. Yeah, I knew they were quality pistols and yeah, I knew they were stupid expensive. Well, I was right on the first account, they are quality pistols. As for expensive, yes they can be but I have a knack for finding really good deals. I detail those deals in other threads but suffice it to say that I know have four HK's and they were all outstanding deals.

What's better, Glock, HK, Sig, S&W? It's all subjective. I've never been a fanboy of any particular brand. I 'like' certain brands but I'm also critical of them at the same time. Is HK better than Glock? Well, for me, in certain areas yes. For example, I don't like the finger grooves on the compact Glocks. So between a Gen 3/4 Glock 23 or an HK USPc in 40 I'd take the HK because of the lack of finger grooves despite the fact it's 5-6 ounces heavier than the Glock. Plus, I like hammer-fired more than striker-fired. Oh, SF is fine and I've been shooting them for decades but I prefer hammer-fired. I like DAO, DA/SA and LEM triggers. I like manual safeties and de-cockers. So for my preferences the HK offers more than the Glock. Now if Glock ever offers a Gen 5 Glock 23 I'd likely get one 'just because'. But they don't currently and HK checks a lot of boxes.

Now I still have several Glocks and they're keepers so I don't want to give the impression that I'm all HK over Glock. It depends on the platform. I have a 19X that fills the night stand role with 19+1 rounds on tap. HK can't match that without funky extensions to the mags that I don't want. In addition to my P365 I have a Glock 26.4 and HK P30sk for EDC depending on my needs/mood. The Sig gets the nod almost all of the time these days, particularly in the Florida summer.

So having said all that, lately I've just been in an HK mood and trying pistols that I've never shot before. And I've found that I really....REALLY like them. However, I'm glad I got them at really good deals because imo, not modern poly pistol is worth what they're asking (even during normal times).

Would I pay full price for an HK? Nope. But then I don't pay full price for any make/model. I wait for really good deals that are out there. Just have to be patient and wait for them.

But I do like my HK's. :)

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Saw an HK P2000sk for a good price. Must be strong!!!

I'm holding out for a USP Compact with a Stainless slide. Those are pure gun sex!