HK Thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: HK Thread

Post by David »

Bought another flush base plate for the mag in my P2000. Just a better choice all the way around. No snagging and still plenty of room for a full grip.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Holding out for USP V1 Compact with Stainless slide. I hope I NEVER find one!
Ender

Post by Ender »

Oberndorf keeps screwing me - they hate me. Every time I pay a premium for the last of a discontinued product - HK re-releases them. The USP Expert, the USC, and now the SL8. I can't win :oops:

What's next - these too? :mrgreen:
P7KNills.jpg
P7KNills.jpg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Sweet pistol though :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

This HK USP has 200K Rounds Through it

https://www.guns.com/news/2021/10/14/th ... through-it

Heckler & Koch on Wednesday showed off one of its German-made pistols that survived a massive number of rounds before it needed repair.

The gun, a standard-length 9mm HK USP with a 2016 (BG) date code next to the antler stamp of the Ulm proof house, reportedly has 200,892 rounds through it before being sent to the factory for service.

"During those 200,892 rounds, no springs were replaced — no recoil springs, trigger return springs, or anything," said HK. "It’s impressive, but not surprising that this pistol can take the abuse of alllll of that ammo, have minimal end-user maintenance, and keep on kickin!"

Rather than scoff, throw rocks, or call BS, the majority of the 250+ comments on the post were positive, with many responding that they had high-mileage HK pistols of their own.

"Well now my P30 with 35,000 rounds through it looks downright pedestrian," said one commenter.

"I have about 5000 rds. through my USP .40v1, and it is a tack driver and a no-brainer. I have NEVER had an FTl, FTF., or an FTE," said another. "That's pretty darn good considering I cannot say that about many of other handguns I have had an experience to use. The pain of the initial cost has subsided for me, but still, its performance is as stellar and satisfying as ever."

To be sure, followers of HK's social media feeds are confirmed HK fanboys, but the response is telling.

The USP was introduced in 1993 as HK's return to the polymer pistol market that it kicked off with the VP70 two decades prior. Using a barrel with polygonal rifling, a Browning-type action with the company's own recoil reduction system, a bobbed hammer, and multiple safeties the company has made over a dozen variants of the pistol since then.

Despite newer HK polymer-framed models such as the hammer-fired P30 and striker-fired VP9 hitting the market, the USP remains popular. It is apparently hard to kill.

Current offerings include the standard models in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, using barrels in the 4.25-4.41 inch range while USP Compacts in the same calibers tend to have barrels and corresponding slides that are almost an inch shorter on average. There are also USP Tactical models in .45 and 9mm, which are add suppressor-ready extended threaded barrels and target sights with micrometer adjustments to the standard variants.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

And this confirms what I've been told before about springs, they don't need to be replaced nearly as often as people think. Years ago I took my (then) off-duty Glock 26 Gen 2.5 to my agency armorer for it's annual check. Since the pistol was 20 years old (at the time) I asked when the springs should be replaced. All the armorers chuckled and the one checking my Glock said, 'Never'. And these were Glock certified armorers. Seeing how some of the agencies G21.3's had 300k rounds and counting they seemed to know what they were talking about.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

HK USP 45 297k+ round count

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/a-chat-wi ... ad.160710/

In regards to the USP referenced in the above post that went 200k rounds before breakage, I found out it was a USP9 and it was a cracked frame. If the recoil rod had been changed it likely wouldn’t have broke. The recoil reduction system that HK uses is suppose to tame the stress on the recoil spring by like 60% or more.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have no idea how many rounds through my USP. 10k+ easily.

I've been looking at a P2000sk lately, and casually for a USP Compact Stainless Slide.....not good!!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I've not had/shot the P2000sk but I did have the P2000. Basically an updated version of the USP. And the grip was one of the most comfortable I've ever held. It doesn't look like it would be, but it was. And of course it was a tack-driver. I'd imagine the SK version would be the same.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

It's been a while since I bought or traded for a pistol. About a year and a half maybe. Decided I wanted to get back into an HK P30. I've had one before in 9mm and liked it quite well. I've had just about every flavor of P30sk (LEM, DA/SA with and without MS) and liked them as well. But never hung onto one.

So I decided to get a P30, DA/SA with MS, night sights and three mags from a LGS. They had it on the website but not in stock so I ordered it this afternoon. $860ish OTD. They said 3-7 days so we'll see how quickly it arrives. Jslow over on GT mentioned that they are putting different night sights on them now instead of the Meprolites. The new ones are suppose to be better so that will be of interest to see when it arrives.

When it does arrive I'll post it up. Have plenty of FMJ to vet it and also plenty of HP for loading it up. Just picked up a couple of boxes (50 round boxes) of 180g Speer Gold Dot so that's likely what I'll use.