Metal or plastic?

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.

What kind of bottle do you prefer for EDC/survival?

Plastic bottle
No votes
Stainless steel
100%
Other, please explain
No votes

Total votes: 6

David
Administrator

Metal or plastic?

Post by David »

Dual Survival with Dave Canterbury and Cody Lundin are some of my favorite shows to watch and re-watch. This lead me to their various video offerings on YT. One thing I've noticed is that they have different views on a variety of topics related to survival. No surprise. They have different backgrounds, live in different parts of the country and teach in differing environments.

One thing I noticed is that Cody prefers and advocates for a plastic Nalgene-style water bottle whereas Dave prefers and advocates for a stainless steel water bottle. Cody talks about this in his books, Dave sells them on his website and talks about them in videos.

So what do you prefer for an EDC and/or survival water bottle, and why?

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Re: Metal or plastic?

Post by bdc »

Stainless. Chemicals tend to migrate into plastic, depending upon the plastic.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdc wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:29 pm Stainless. Chemicals tend to migrate into plastic, depending upon the plastic.
Make sure you vote :)
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
JDH

Post by JDH »

I really like Nalgene bottles but...

Hit hard stainless may bend but will still hold water. If the plastic cracks it is done.

You can directly heat the stainless. Trying that with a Nalgene type is playing with fire.
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Plastic melts---stainless doesn't.
Plastic breaks---stainless doesn't.
Plastic leeches---stainless doesn't.
Plastic is light weight---stainless doesn't break/leech/melt.
A full stainless canteen on a rope or belt is a fine SD weapon in most cases. Think about it.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

For an EDC water bottle, I like the Camelbak plastic bottles. Rugged enough to stand up to daily use, practical and light.

For a survival bottle I'll go with SS for all the benefits listed above.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Metal can be cooked in, it dents and down't break.

That said I have plastic!
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

I don't want to be that guy but I'd say this:
EDC - plastic disposable prefilled water bottle, cheap to use and rotate out

Survival - Camelbac with a combination of these filter and additive
https://www.cleverhiker.com/best-backpa ... er-filters
David
Administrator

Post by David »

So far the voting is 100% for stainless steel.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

My vote: two baby bottle adapters for my stainless steel water containers; 3 plastic baby bottles, 3 glass baby bottles. I will be lying in bed sick. I haven't bought plastic water bottles since Nagalene was the market leader in water containers and the stainless steel ones came out. Have some stored in the garage with water, just like Vietnam era canteens -they are second tier now.