Water filtration/disinfection/purification options

Everything you need to know about making and keeping water potable.
David
Administrator

Re: Water filtration/disinfection/purification options

Post by David »

Tossing out various links to some of the options everyone has mentioned above;

https://israelifirstaid.com/aquatabs-wa ... v-EALw_wcB

Aquatabs® is a tablet which is added to drinking water to kill most harmful micro-organisms. The tablet dissolves clear within minutes and disinfects the water within 30 minutes.
Aquatabs® tablets are available in 8.5mg. The tablets are presented in strips of 10 tablets.
Aquatabs will lead to a 99.9999% reduction in bacteria, a 99.99% reduction in viruses and a 99.9% reduction in Cysts (Giardia) within 30 minutes when used in non-turbid water. Each tablet is dissolved in a specified volume of water according to the following dosage chart.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

A deficiency in the Aquatabs is that it's ineffective against Cryptosporidium.

From Aquatabs website at https://www.aquatabs.ca/faq.html. They say it's not common but in a disaster situation I would consider all water sources suspect and assume Crypto is present in the water.

Are Aquatabs water purification tablets effective against the cysts Giardia and Cryptosporidium?
Aquatabs are effective against Giardia when used as directed but have not been proven effective against Cryptosporidium when this cyst is in the oocyst stage of its life cycle. Cryptosporidium is however not considered to be a common cyst. If Cryptosporidium is suspected, boil the water for 1 to 3 minutes depending on elevation or filter to a level of 1 micron absolute and then treat with Aquatabs to inactivate remaining bacteria and viruses that filtration does not generally remove.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Good to know, thank you.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I’m putting this in three different sections because it has three different survival functions.

I’ve used this several times to create a chemical fire and it works splendidly.

tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

For my un-treated water I use Calcium Hypochlorite
Since a 1lb bottle treats aprox 10K gallons of water , it goes a long way.

Below good for printing and place in yr book ( you do keep a printed doc book for info don't you just in case? )

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/fi ... f15003.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5 ... UTF8&psc=1
You can't fix stupid !
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I obtained that information a few years ago and reposted it elsewhere. I have a few pounds that cost $7 a pound. Triple wrapped and put in plastic containers as it is hydroscopic. I also put the epa instructions with each package. It might be used if I have to tap my 30 and 50 gallon drums.

If the water were obtained elsewhere, I would set up a number of 2 container solar stills instead. This approach would result in purified water stills without be concerned about salts in pool water and could handle swampy water as well as urine.
David
Administrator

Post by David »