Glockdate: Bob's Glockl Modding

A section for all the tweaks done and available to our toys.
Bob
Board Founder

Glockdate: Bob's Glockl Modding

Post by Bob »

I'm just gonna use this thread to keep everyone updated on my latest Glock Armorer/Gunsmith adventures. Here is the latest incarnation of my Glock 23:

You'll notice quite a number of larger/smaller changes. Here is a quick rundown:

Extended barrel/threaded, with nut: I got a Double Diamond conversion barrel because I'm all about 9mm. I think I shoot 9mm a little more accurately than .40, but I have the .40 option in a pinch. Overall I like it, and can add a silencer, muzzle break, or whatever, and get just a touch more barrel.

Mag well: That big silver flared well feels good in my grip, first of all. It also has a 4oz weight in the backstap. Mags go in no problem - not that I'm shooting for time. I can still use regular G19/23 mags too.

Extended mag release:Depending on your opinion, you might love/hate this. I did not like the contortion for a mag drop at all with the OEM version. I can also see how depending on your grip you might be accidentally dropping mags. Don't think I'll have that problem or will easily mod my grip. The aluminum ridges really afford a positive grip to press and is completely workable without changing grip.

Extended slide stop: This was cheap and silver. Never had a problem with the original, but this definitely affords a better grip, not that I ever considered this critical. Still, it was fairly easy to do.

Back plate: Not shown, you can look at other phots in Glock thread or wherever. Again - just because it was cheap, easy and adds to the Silver/Black theme.

I got this gun for a few reasons. First, I wanted something .40 just for diversity. Second, I wanted to make peace with Glock, just because it is the default handgun of the US it seems. It was also cheap. But finally, I wanted to play! I had seen tons of Glocks modded every which way, so I thought this would be a good platform to start learning/working on them and have some fun. I am not ever gonna touch my 76 High-Power, my HK USP, or my Beretta 92F. This, however, is the AR of pistol mod platforms.

I think I'm already getting a better feel for how it was designed and works just by doing these few things. Next up, I'm thinking these things:
1. Extended Slide Release lever
2. Extended +4/5 mag bottoms for a few mags
3. Sites - I love that green site on my S&W .22!!!
4. Then on to trigger - 3.5lb kit
5. Maybe a silver trigger face plate
6. Thinking about guide rod

Have not shot it since all of these things (except barrel) went on. I'll give range reports as they become available. Bonus: Getting good at fixing a stuck slide when I jack it up putting it back on!!!!
Bob
Board Founder

Re: Glockdate: Bob's Glockl Modding

Post by Bob »

Here are the latest.

Extended Slide Release I really like this. Perfect position! Also, I can lock the slide open with just little movement even without a mag.

Also note the now silver writing!

Last edited by Bob on Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Here was a big one. I have swapped the springs on my first mag!!!

The extension 'can' fit 6, but I'm only putting 5 in. That makes it a 20rd'er! To do this I had to develop a technique to remove base plates. What a %$%^#!!! Also, I had to cut the tabs off of the bottom for this, so mags get dedicated to this, so I don't know how many I'll actually do.

You can also see the back plate well here.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Seriously though - this has been a really great adventure. I am completely upping my gunsmithing skills. Learning a ton about how these things are put together, how they work, perhaps how to repair. This was one of my main Glock goals and it has been very successful.

Two super awesome bonuses:

1 - I can now shoot this thing straight!!!!
2 - My Glock is cooler than yours!!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Very nice Bob. Definitely has bling factor.

What is the make of the base plates? How much were they? Color options? Link if you have it.

Also, you swapped the spring, where did you get the new spring? The 20-round capacity now rivals the 19X which is a very nice bonus.

So what's your plans for your Frankenglock?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Glock Store
$39 ???
Black Blue Red Gold Silver
Spring came with extension

Currently shut down due to Corona in Kalifornistan
https://www.glockstore.com/DD-Plus-Magazine-Extensions

Next steps likely a Flat trigger face and a 3.5 pound connector at same time.
Seriously thinking about Muzzle device...
Sights will happen
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Post by fishingjeff »

Bob,threaded cap makes I see two problems with your Gluck. The threaded barrel cap, makes the butt end look "fat", and the barrel must have gotten bent somehow. It's pointed upwards, not straight forward like a normal pistol/revolver.

You probably need much more coffee in the evening hours. LOL.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

fishingjeff wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:52 pm Bob,threaded cap makes I see two problems with your Gluck. The threaded barrel cap, makes the butt end look "fat", and the barrel must have gotten bent somehow. It's pointed upwards, not straight forward like a normal pistol/revolver.

You probably need much more coffee in the evening hours. LOL.
All Glocks have their barrel tipped up when the slide is locked back. Many other pistols do as well.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Because it's a Glock and it knows it is a stud pistol. Thus, barrel boner!

As for "Fat" it will even out when I add something like this:

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:53 am Because it's a Glock and it knows it is a stud pistol. Thus, barrel boner!

As for "Fat" it will even out when I add something like this:

Bob, what was the initial cost of the Glock 23 if you don't mind me asking? You may have said before but I don't remember.