Contagion Survival Kit

All things first aid related.
bdc
Board Founder

Re: Contagion Survival Kit

Post by bdc »

When you are in the hospital, in order to drink liquids,you have to sit up. Sometimes, I would not feel like it.

If you are feverish or otherwise not fully in control of your faculties, you can spill. If you are wealthy and have an attendant waiting, you can have the bed changed. If not, you may have a mess.

if you hold a baby bottle, you can lie down. You can stop drinking without having to make a deliberate movement to put the bottle elsewhere - and then you can resume, all without spilling.

So, there you have it, Bob. Basis for thinking in a quiet corner was spending a week on morphine drip at Kaiser, having to have to have surgery in the middle of the night. It was also the last time I engaged in martial arts. Then, I had to take care of myself at home until I could walk again.

Another reason to thinking in a quiet corner. People are always prepping and thinking in terms of baking bread/cooking rice dishes, sprouting seeds, etc. I simply had the experience of spending a few months in bed after surgery following discharge from the army. When I think about a flu, I want small cans of fruit, small cans of veggies, cans of soup, meal size cans of beef stew. I don't want to spend the time, when I don't have the energy, to prepare meals and have to clean up afterwards.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

70% isopropyl alcohol by the gallon. Smart and Final had it for about $16 a gallon plus tax when I posted on February 7, 2020. I have 6 gallons stored.
Today, May 24, 2020, a "pharmacy" is offering a mixture of 70% isopropyl with a smidgen of aloe vera for only $28 a 1/2 gallon plus shipping. But it has a little pump on top like any moisturizer cream or spray bottle of cleaner. That works out to only $56 a gallon for isopropyl plus shipping.

And remember, Lysol is just a multi-surface cleaner. When you go to the store, look for "multiple surface cleaner" on the multiple gallons of Green Power, Purple Power and the like on the shelf next to the empty Lysol spot.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Surface cleaners/panic buying.

1. 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Very versatile disinfectant.
Surface cleaner as good as Lysol or any other surface disinfectant.
Evaporates without rubbing and does not smell like most cleaners.
When you buy the small bottle, you are paying quite a bit.
Lasts forever when sealed.

I knew that the panic stricken would be able to figure that out eventually, so I bought a lot. The price at Smart and Final was under $18 a gallon, tax included. The same 70% alcohol with some liquid soap thrown in now sells for $56 a gallon plus tax.

I was counting on S & F have a supply in stock again within the first month after lockdown was relaxed because the morons and bozos would be flocking to the beach and paying $25 a day or going to Disneyland and spending hundreds on just one person's admissions.

On the way to the hospital yesterday at 7 am, and 1/2 day after an announced re-lockdown, I stopped at S & F and bought the three gallons that were on the shelf. Good luck finding any for the next month. 3 gallons = 6 months of spraying at home.

There is a difference between bread yeast and regular yeast. Both have a true/actual shelf life. I prefer the bottled bread yeast which has been out for months. In fact regular yeast has just come back without restriction on purchase in the last two weeks. Well folks, mom is still going to have to cook and bake at home because the schools are not re-opening. The yeast will go back to being rationed. One needs to add regular yeast to make up for what is called quick rising or bread yeast.

Now, you have the dilemma of prepping:
1. a product with infinite shelf life and which you cannot produce yourself. You also must go to a special location to obtain the same inexpensively and the number of suppliers is severely limited.
2. a normally common product which is readily available, but has a true/actual shelf life. Few producers in the US. Although you can possibly perpetuate the product at home, you also have to go back to primitive living in many respects. It is darned hard to collect water manually, reload, and keep yeast going while you have immediate challenges after shtf.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I wonder if or how quickly it loses it's effectiveness once it has been unsealed?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Alcohol doesn't deteriorate. It evaporates. So, if you close the container, you are fine.

With yeast, I do not know. All I know is that it is one of the food products that will definitely deteriorate during the expiration period.

Getting medical treatment right now is a bad situation. I am going through it with a back injury that will not be treated for the foreseeable future. The girl friend received authorization for 3 kinds of hand surgery - at the end of July now, and cannot take pain medication for 10 days before surgery.

You simply try to keep up with the meds and the exercise, and nothing is perfect. I am back to eating after 8 days. Next telephone visit? Over a month from now. I was in the middle with a plastic surgeon before the edict came down not to admit anyone other than virus and bleedouts so I finished that yesterday.