Your advice to someone new to prepping

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Your advice to someone new to prepping

Post by David »

One of the purposes of this board is to disseminate practical information to folks looking to get into sensible emergency preparedness. So here is thread where those members that have a lot of experience on the topic can share their views, experience and pearls of wisdom.

So what would your advice be to someone just getting interested in prepping?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Your advice to someone new to prepping

Post by David »

My wife called me at work years ago. She was watching a talk show that had a doctor speaking about emergency preparedness. She said it was really interesting and eye-opening. She told me he wrote a book about it called, 'When All Plans Fail'. I told her to buy it off Amazon and she did. We got it and I read it and since then I've lived and been interested in the topic/life style.

https://www.amazon.com/When-All-Plans-F ... 649&sr=8-1

This book is a great start into 'why' you'd want to consider 'prepping' and a good start on the 'how' as well. Basically, you don't get all bunged up about it. Start small and think things through logically. For example, spend an extra $10 during shopping day and get some cans of food or rice and beans to set to the side. Make sure you have some batteries for your flashlight. Toss a pair of comfortable shoes in the trunk of your car in case you break down and have to walk a couple of miles to a service station or better cell reception. Practical and common sense type stuff.

That's how you start.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Start simple. Take stock of what you have-- food, water, first-aid, tools (inclusive of firearms), etc. Build up food supplies first. Pay attention to the deep wisdom that you can find on this board (not mine per se; mine is like splashing in the shallows) and others like it. Realize that preparing for disaster/emergency/shtf is not a "one and done" kinda thing. You have put your hand on the plow and there is no looking back. And last but not least: Don't Panic.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

One week of water and a month of food for ever box of ammo!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

One thing we've talked about at length is the defense aspect of emergency preparedness. You have to be able to protect yourself, family and property during incidents in particular as well as normal times in general. However, not everyone is a 'gun person' and that's okay. You don't have to have an arsenal, million rounds of ammo and an underground bunker with spider holes and booby traps set up on the perimeter. That isn't practical prepping. In 99.9% of situations you may find yourself facing, a good revolver with a speed loader and a box of ammo is all you'd ever need and you'll still have ammo left over. So don't get all hyped up about building a guns and ammo stockpile for SHTF situations. Instead, concentrate on things you'll need daily like clean water (to drink, cleaning and hygiene), food that will last, batteries for lights. Those things are the kind of stuff that you'll use every day. Guns and ammo is pretty far down on the list...but it is on the list. If you've taken care of the major priorities and want to go nuts on guns and ammo that's fine. But sitting on a pile of ammo without the necessities being taken care of is foolish.

The following video has fantastic ideas for prepping. For those unfamiliar with Cody Lundin, he may look like a bush hippie but he's a genius bush hippie with two best selling books and he's a walking encyclopedia of survival knowledge who lives what he teaches.

ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Well put!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I maintain the first gun you should get is a basic 12g shotgun. Most high utility of all the weapons, only one disadvantage. Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, or whatever. Get something with a security/Field barrel combo!!!! Why?

#1 For home defense, 12g buck is the #1 man-stopper period. No worry, no wonder, no confusion. It WILL stop a bad guy in your home.
#2 Round for round, the most forgiving in accuracy - you shoot better with less practice period. especially true at longer ranges and moving targets
#3 A box of bird shot, #6, buck, and slugs lets you hunt pheasant, dove, ducks, squirrels, rabbits, pigs, and deer
#4 At $200-300 you can buy a time tested ultra reliable weapon
#5 Trap, Skeet, and assorted sporting clay options (even on a cruise) to have fun while shooting
#6 Ammo fairly cheap, low recoil available for the more delicate of us

* 20g is also a solid option for all of the above except maybe deer at long range.

Leave the security barrel on unless you are going hunting/sporting clays. Also not easily manipulable by small children. Get this, learn to shoot it, and then get back to water, food, sanitation, energy, and medicine!

The single disadvantage is that it is not concealable in any sensible fashion, as would be a handgun.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:47 pm I maintain the first gun you should get is a basic 12g shotgun. Most high utility of all the weapons, only one disadvantage. Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, or whatever. Get something with a security/Field barrel combo!!!! Why?

#1 For home defense, 12g buck is the #1 man-stopper period. No worry, no wonder, no confusion. It WILL stop a bad guy in your home.
#2 Round for round, the most forgiving in accuracy - you shoot better with less practice period. especially true at longer ranges and moving targets
#3 A box of bird shot, #6, buck, and slugs lets you hunt pheasant, dove, ducks, squirrels, rabbits, pigs, and deer
#4 At $200-300 you can buy a time tested ultra reliable weapon
#5 Trap, Skeet, and assorted sporting clay options (even on a cruise) to have fun while shooting
#6 Ammo fairly cheap, low recoil available for the more delicate of us

* 20g is also a solid option for all of the above except maybe deer at long range.

Leave the security barrel on unless you are going hunting/sporting clays. Also not easily manipulable by small children. Get this, learn to shoot it, and then get back to water, food, sanitation, energy, and medicine!

The single disadvantage is that it is not concealable in any sensible fashion, as would be a handgun.
Bob touches on the important aspect of weapon platform selection. I started a specific thread to address this important discussion here:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55

Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

As it has been stated, start simple with realistic goals. First work on 72 hours, then a week, then a month and just keep building. Don't spend all your funds in one area. Lots of people want to focus on the self-defense side, but have no way to purify water. Slow steady progress will help you reach your overall goal and don't let it overwhelm you.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

3 days / 1 week / 2 weeks / Month is a great approach

You learn quickly the challenges of water vs everything else!
And if you only get to two weeks - you are in ridiculously better shape than almost everyone! Ignore Doomsday Prepper types that say you need a minimum of a year and 100,000 rounds of ammo. They will prevent you from getting to 2 weeks.