Your advice to someone new to prepping

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Your advice to someone new to prepping

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:12 pm Right now - DO NOT start prepping for WWIII/Nuclear War

2 weeks without water, food, meds, and power, or police. ALWAYS goal one....
I'd say right now it's definitely time to get the 2 weeks stuff squared away. Then work on making it a months worth and then up it as you are able.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:44 pm
Bob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:12 pm Right now - DO NOT start prepping for WWIII/Nuclear War

2 weeks without water, food, meds, and power, or police. ALWAYS goal one....
I'd say right now it's definitely time to get the 2 weeks stuff squared away. Then work on making it a months worth and then up it as you are able.
But between Russia/Iran...

It would be EASY to fall into the get ready for nuclear attack and start buying Iodine, Anti-rad gear, digging a bunker etc.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Biggest issue with the 2 weeks + is medicine.

Many of us take certain meds that are prescribed and given out for 30 days.

I got my doctors to run with 90 day scripts AND then manage to lose some of them. My insurance allows one loss of script per year so check out yours for same. I manage to stock about 6 months of extra meds and it helped me back during covid ( couldn't get one med for over 2 months and I was able to cover ) ( and yes they are rotated )
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

tom mac wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:33 am Biggest issue with the 2 weeks + is medicine.

Many of us take certain meds that are prescribed and given out for 30 days.

I got my doctors to run with 90 day scripts AND then manage to lose some of them. My insurance allows one loss of script per year so check out yours for same. I manage to stock about 6 months of extra meds and it helped me back during covid ( couldn't get one med for over 2 months and I was able to cover ) ( and yes they are rotated )
Very fortunate that mine comes in the mail in a 3 month supply. And it comes well before the previous one has finished so I'm able to have a pretty good supply on hand normally.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".