Deal Alert Thread

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
David
Administrator

Re: Deal Alert Thread

Post by David »

Olight is having a big sale.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mountain House has a sale going on for anyone interested.

https://mountainhouse.com/
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Glock 19 clone @ Combat Armory $219+ shipping

https://www.combatarmory.com/combat-arm ... -19-parts/
Mac66
Board Founder

MRE's $40 for 20 meals

Post by Mac66 »

A guy on my MGO forum posted this. These are Humanitarian MREs on Amazon. 20 meals for $40 with free shipping. $2/meal is pretty good. Note...these do not contain any meat, coffee or heaters. They do have salt, pepper, sugar, wipe and a spoon.

The meals are vegetarian, i,e, mostly beans, rice etc etc. Each meal is around 1,000 calories and they are packed two meals per package. Vegetarian is ok as the bean etc provide protein. And of course you could supplement it with meat.

Sorry, I can't get the link to work. go to Amazon and search MREs, look for the Wornick Company -Military-Surplus-Humanitarian meals

Some of the reviews (read the reviews on Amazon) say they are pretty good.

These would make good emergency rations for BOBs (bug out bags),get home bags etc.

By now you've probably heard my plan for disasters. When things go bad you have to immediately go into survival mode. Most people can go up to a month without eating (try intermittent fasting to get used to it). I've been on numerous diets and some of them on 800 calories a day for 9 months. Yeah I lost a lot of weight, which was the point but I continued to work and work out while on the diet and got in really good shape. So the plan is just eat enough to survive until you can determine the scope of the situation.

Having said that, it's nice to have some food available. I would probably not eat for the first week and then eat one pack (1K calories) a day as a last resort after going through my perishable supplies. I would also supplement it with hunting, fishing, trapping and foraging

I may buy some just to try out.
David
Administrator

Re: MRE's $40 for 20 meals

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:01 pm A guy on my MGO forum posted this. These are Humanitarian MREs on Amazon. 20 meals for $40 with free shipping. $2/meal is pretty good. Note...these do not contain any meat, coffee or heaters. They do have salt, pepper, sugar, wipe and a spoon.

The meals are vegetarian, i,e, mostly beans, rice etc etc. Each meal is around 1,000 calories and they are packed two meals per package. Vegetarian is ok as the bean etc provide protein. And of course you could supplement it with meat.

Sorry, I can't get the link to work. go to Amazon and search MREs, look for the Wornick Company -Military-Surplus-Humanitarian meals

Some of the reviews (read the reviews on Amazon) say they are pretty good.

These would make good emergency rations for BOBs (bug out bags),get home bags etc.

By now you've probably heard my plan for disasters. When things go bad you have to immediately go into survival mode. Most people can go up to a month without eating (try intermittent fasting to get used to it). I've been on numerous diets and some of them on 800 calories a day for 9 months. Yeah I lost a lot of weight, which was the point but I continued to work and work out while on the diet and got in really good shape. So the plan is just eat enough to survive until you can determine the scope of the situation.

Having said that, it's nice to have some food available. I would probably not eat for the first week and then eat one pack (1K calories) a day as a last resort after going through my perishable supplies. I would also supplement it with hunting, fishing, trapping and foraging

I may buy some just to try out.
Thanks Mac. I ordered a case to try out. What got my attention was the reduced sodium. To me that was a selling point as I’m watching my sodium intake. Should arrive on the 17th.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Mac66 is very good on the research.

A few, general thoughts.
1. you can research historical armies. Guys moving around, living sometimes in primitive conditions, not being able to go to the super market. They ate everything. However, the mainstay was a simple wheat cracker, whether it is called a sea biscuit, saltine, hardtack. The cost is cheap, basically the cost of flour, salt, water and some low oven heat over a cold evening. I put enough hardtack to handle two people for a month or more. It doesn't go bad.

2. you can research civilian deaths in famines, etc. Essentially, don't need a lot of food, but the right amount of sanitation, vitamins and minerals. So, I knocked back a year's supply of the same for two people. Whatever is not used can be readily sold.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I decided that the MREs looked like a decent deal and grabbed a case. Thanks for sharing the info.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys who buy them think when you get them.
And I ordered a case as well.

There are a number of youtube videos of people opening them and trying them.
Which reminded me of my boy scout leader/backpacking days. I started using MREs and Mountain house freeze dried meals.

Eventually I came up with my own homemade rations for me and my sons which were set up and packed like MREs Entrees were instant meals that could be cooked in a canteen cup. Sides and snacks were peanut butter, crackers, cheese spread, cookies, granola bars etc, etc. We always like them better than MREs or Mountain House food. My sons and I once did a 5 day trek along the Appalachian trail and had food left over at the end.

I may try to replicate some of those meals and put together emergency rations like these HDRs we are buying.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

bdcochran wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:39 pm hardtack. The cost is cheap, basically the cost of flour, salt, water and some low oven heat over a cold evening.
you have an easy recipe??... going to try and make some then seal up on canning jars with O2 depleters
I have a round cookie cutter that will fit jars well.
You can't fix stupid !