Optics

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
ratf51
Board Founder

Optics

Post by ratf51 »

I was able to get my new dissipator upper to the range for a function test and initial sight in. The rifle ran well, I was able to get it sighted in without any difficulty, but I was reminded about the limitations of my vision with iron sights. So, any optics recommendations? At one time I had an Eotech but it did not play well with my astigmatism. I have variable scopes ranging from 2-8x, 3-9x, and 4-12x on other rifles (only one of which is an AR). I have heard good things about some of the mini red dots re: being less problematic for astigmatism. I waffle between a fixed power (say a Burris AR336 for example), 1-4x or 1-6x variable, or a mini red dot (Holosun type or Trijicon MRO.) So, opinions? Recommendations?

For what it is worth the firearm in question is a PSA Dissipator, mid-length gas system, nitride barrel and nitride bolt/BCG, running a Magpul fixed rifle stock, Magpul handguards, and an A3 removable carry handle.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Optics

Post by Ronin.45 »

I have an astigmatism in my shooting eye as well. Eotechs never worked well for me either.
I guess the first step is narrowing down your choice to a dot or scope.
If you want to go with a dot, Holosun is one of the best bang for buck companies right now. The 510 has some great features and can be had under $250. The 507 is a good choice if you want a micro dot that won't add any weight. If you really want bulletproof, PM me because I have a nice Aimpoint Comp ML3 for sale.
As for scopes. The current budget leader is the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x. Palmetto has them regularly at $299 with mount.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Yes, right now my struggle is the dot or scope question. Part of me says "dot" and keep the weight down. Another part says "scope" so I can see better at distance. Dots come with mounts; scopes generally don't. The struggle is real, people!
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

No it isn't. Primary Arms 1-6x. You CAN have it all!
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Bob wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:14 am No it isn't. Primary Arms 1-6x. You CAN have it all!
OK, be decisive then! But allow me my angst! :D
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

Honestly, I think the Vortex is a nicer scope for the same or less money.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Yeah, I'll probably wind up going with a 1-6x type zoom. The extra clarity of magnification offsets the increased weight. But a Trijicon MRO sure is neat!
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

How about this to add to the conundrum-- I am seriously considering changing the 2-8x scope on my only (at the moment) scoped AR for a 3-12x model. The AR is a full rifle and the barrel is quite accurate. At some point I want to do some coyote hunting and this would be what I would use. Thus, increasing the upper end reach on the scope becomes very desirable. If I did this then the 2-8x would go to the dissipator.

What has propelled this line of thinking is that the 3-12x scope I wanted was discontinued. The scope was replaced with something that could be argued was better but the reticle was changed and I don't care for the new reticle. Also, the new version has an illuminated reticle and I don't want to deal with a battery in a scope. But I have recently found the old version available for purchase new. My assumption is that this is someone clearing out the last of their inventory.
ratf51
Board Founder

Post by ratf51 »

Well, for those of you who have been waiting with 'bated breath about what I might decide, the wait is over. I just ordered a 3-12x scope for my 20" AR and the 2-8x that now resides on said rifle will move to the Dissipator. Mischief managed.