The Patriot Nurse - Medical Information

All things first aid related.
David
Administrator

The Patriot Nurse - Medical Information

Post by David »

Ultimate Medical Kit

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: The Patriot Nurse - Medical Information

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

I know that people will turn into the The Patriot Nurse looking for suggestions in dealing with the coming epidemic. I call her a "reminder resource".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Top 5 Antibiotics for SHTF Storage

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I don't disagree with her recommendations.

In dealing with medicines/herbs/injuries, I considered the following problems:
1. my memory is not perfect to remember the who, what, when, where, why and how of each medicine including dosages, length of consumption and side effects.
2. a doctor or the internet may not be available when shtf to tell me about the things I can't remember under point 1.
3. I don't have a fortune that allows me to buy a Physicians Desk Reference, etc.
4. I do have the internet and a printer. So, for each medication, each herb, each rehab exercise that I do, I print out at least two copies, put the print outs in zip lock baggies and if it is a medicine, put a copy in the refrigerator in the garage.

A person can get all bent out of shape about expiration dates, prices and so forth. I simply consider the money spent on medications/herbs/vitamins/minerals as money spent on insurance. Hopefully, I never need it - and don't worry about a few bucks.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

What I'm Taking and Doing to Stay Healthy NOW

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Supplements.
1. they need to be targeted to the individual.
2. doctors are not necessarily trained to be nutritionists, but pay attention to what they say.
3. there now is a test for vitamin D deficiency. If you paid outright, it is about $50 and the kit is reviewed by a licensed lab. If you are on Medi-care, the test is free - ask your doctor.
4. you already know what causes scurvy and goiter. Deficiencies in the diet.
5. do you get kidney stones? do you have restless leg syndrome? do you get leg cramps. talk to your doctor about replacing table salt with "no-salt". Talk to your doctor about the facts that magnesium and potassium can not be stored in the body and if you are in a hot climate, have dizzy spells, have cramps or exercise vigorously, you may need a supplement.
6. what i am taking as supplements may not be what you might take, so I don't mention them.
7. there isn't necessary a doctor's conspiracy to have you avoid taking supplements.
8. sometimes a blood stop developed originally for horses comes to be used to stop blood flows in humans. Or a concoction developed to help horse joints ends up an over-the-counter treatment for human joints. Or a German scientist looking for a pain reliever for his dad, take a natural ingredient and you end up with Bayer aspirin. You have to do your own research to determine whether you need supplements. (I knew a guy who was selling plain tap water as a cure for HIV until the feds got after him). Pay attention not to the hyped radio programs about vitamins, but to the required disclosures that the claims have not been reviewed or approved by the FDA.