Why you should be armed in the woods/wilderness

The section for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and all of our outdoor adventures. This section includes gardening and the harvesting of game and other edibles.
David
Administrator

Re: Why you should be armed in the woods/wilderness

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Kind of looks like Costco!
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:31 pm
Nice video. I think one of the main take aways

The attacker has the advantage ... they choose, when, where and how to attack. Instead of a direct attack, he could have left and snuck up on them.

The campers were vulnerable to attack ... no way to avoid it unless they camp with security guards.

My greatest fear while in the woods is Lyme Disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Dave is (was) a security guard!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

aerynsun wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:49 am The campers were vulnerable to attack ... no way to avoid it unless they camp with security guards.
Situational awareness and presenting a target that is willing to fight back could help avoid a situation. Bad guys don't often want a victim that fights back. Of course, there are those that will attack regardless because they are intent on doing evil. But at least it could be mitigated with awareness and a willingness to meet force with force.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

This is your life we are discussing. What would you rather have in your hands when a 1,200-pound brown bear is directing his anger ­issues at you? ––Bryce M. Towsley
https://www.outdoorlife.com/bear-defens ... 0mm-autos/

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Author of the video speaks of several bear attacks/deaths at the time of the video (Alaska).

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Not that I would really need it for my A.O. (for the most part), I'm thinking that my next acquisition need to be a Glock 21 and then the parts to convert it over to 10mm. The 10mm is one caliber I've never owned and I'd like to get back into 45acp 'just because' so this would fill both niches.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:59 pm Not that I would really need it for my A.O. (for the most part), I'm thinking that my next acquisition need to be a Glock 21 and then the parts to convert it over to 10mm. The 10mm is one caliber I've never owned and I'd like to get back into 45acp 'just because' so this would fill both niches.
Or just buy heavier springs and make your 21 into a 45 Super. Although ammo is expensive you can reload it using regular 45 acp dies and bullets. Starline makes the brass.