Peanut lighter

From primitive methods to advanced tools, everything you need to start a fire.
David
Administrator

Peanut lighter

Post by David »

Next to my Zippo, the peanut lighter is my favorite because I have it on my person even more than the Zippo. Mainly because I have one on my 'survival' key chain which also contains a AAA flashlight, Tinker SAK and pocket suspension clip. It is separate from the key chain with my car keys.

The peanut lighter normally uses all the same parts as a Zippo and works on the same principle. It's just a smaller version. It has an advantage over the Zippo though in that the cap screws on with an O-ring so the fluid doesn't evaporate nearly as quickly as a Zippo, even if the Zippo has a ranger band. With a Zippo and ranger band I can usually get 3+ weeks of use before having to refill. With a peanut lighter I've gone more than 6 months before needing to refill. That is a substantial difference!

Many types of peanut lighters on the market. A common one is this;

They work. However, I've noticed that after a while the seal breaks. In the video you'll notice that the top pulls out of the body for refill. The top part with the striker and flint tends to pull apart from the canister that contains the filler. I guess the fluid eats away at the seam? It can still be usable but gets pretty flimsy. I still have several of these and they do last as far as fluid evaporation but all of them eventually split apart at that seam. Perhaps a more expensive version wouldn't split apart. However, the inexpensive ones are so inexpensive that you could buy a handful and if you had to replace it annually it really isn't a big deal.

I prefer the type in the pic below. The striker part is in the bullet part of the lighter. It unscrews just like the other type to allow access to the actual lighter part. Seals with an O-ring to keep it water/weather proof. In the base, where the key ring is attached, it also unscrews to get to the fluffy filler and is where you fill/refill with fluid. So there is no pulling out inserts to put stress on seams. The base also has an O-ring to keep it all sealed up.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Peanut lighter

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I have a bullet shaped peanut lighter that looks like this one from Amazon;

I like the design because the bottom comes off to refuel. And I've had it on my 'survival' key chain for quite a while testing it out but I finally took it off. Maybe I need to try replacing the O-rings but it just doesn't hold fuel very long. The other problem is that several times either the bullet end or the tail end unscrewed in my pocket which also leads to quick evaporation. And of course you always run the risk of losing either a piece of the lighter or the main part.

The cheap peanut lighters that look like this...

...hold fuel for over 6 months in my testing and I've seen others that have had them hold fuel for over a year. The problem with this type is that you have to pull out the guts to fill it and after a while they tend to fall apart. Perhaps a more expensive version would be better?

I'll have to play around with it a bit. I like the idea of the peanut lighter as a secondary fire source that is easily carried to back up my Zippo.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I gotta get a couple of these someday...
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:26 pm I gotta get a couple of these someday...
The challenge is getting one that stays filled for a very long time (at least 6-12 months) and doesn't fall apart. I like the idea of a peanut lighter but right now I'm thinking the good ole fashion Zippo is a better all around option. Particularly with the easy modifications I've detailed in the Zippo thread. It's staying filled for several months, it's a lot more durable than some of the peanut lighters, easier to hold on to when it's wet and/or cold and though it's larger than a typical peanut lighter really doesn't take up a lot more real estate in a pocket or pouch.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Zippo filled for months....I'll be looking that thread up!!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:55 pm Zippo filled for months....I'll be looking that thread up!!!!
https://www.sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?t=88

Read thru the linked thread above. Ranger band and the bottom insert are the two main mods.