Kubaton, Baton, tactical pens, flashlights and Yawara sticks

This section is for discussion on martial arts, defensive tactics, hand-2-hand combatives and the weapons involved in these systems.
David
Administrator

Kubaton, Baton, tactical pens, flashlights and Yawara sticks

Post by David »

I carry a kubaton on my keychain. I've had the same one for about 25 years. It's scratched up and has silver showing through the black from being carried over the years but that is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the performance in any way. I like it for a couple of reasons; first, it helps me from losing my keys since it is basically a stick on my key chain. Easy to spot. Secondly, the kubaton slips into a pocket with the keys hanging outside the pocket. This allows me quick and easy access to them whether I'm simply going to the car or I have to take it out quickly in a defense situation. Third, it allows me a non-lethal defense option.

Mine looks like this one;

As you can see in the videos they are also pointed.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Re: Kubaton, Baton, tactical pens, flashlights and Yawara sticks

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

Recently, I had to fly across country. Didn't want to pay $30 for the privilege of having a suitcase stowed under the plane carrying a leatherman tool and a knife each way. Studied up. Took a flashlight and nail scissors which were permitted in carry on. Also took a pen.

Never forget that at the time of 2001, El Al Airlines had entry proof pilot doors and protocols in place. US carriers did not.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I bring a pocket full of kung fu and my imagination. There's a weapon somewhere.

If I had my martial arts life to live over though....Fillipino Stick fighting.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I read in a different forum that a member had been in the 101st airborne. He had some hurry training in crowd control and had been issued a sledge hammer handle. I went on line and learned that Staples, the office supply company, was selling sledge hammer handles for under $12 delivered. Bought one. Cleaned it up and finished it.

I compared the handle to my Bo. Cheaper because the wood was not shaped.

Whether it is a folder, fixed blade knife, escrima stick, machete, sword, Bo, sledge hammer handle, the defensive movements are the same. I even had a couple of days of kukri training. Same movements.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Very interesting.

bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I explain the tools other than a firearm in H2H.

One day, I go to the local hardware store. One parks in the rear, goes in through the back door and wanders through the maze. Nothing ever happens there . . . until this day. A situation is developing as I walk towards the cash register. There are two people where the customers would be. A lot of noise. Then Jimmy is jumping over the counter from behind the cash register. It is on.

My trained reaction. 1. look at the perps hands to see if there are weapons; 2. look around for anything that has an edge that I can hold in my hand; 3. check my backside and get out the building asap. The guns were in the car. I left. Not my fight. Jimmy was good enough and could handle things.

One day a class was finishing up and the instructor asked if there were anything that we would want in a future class. I responded that I wanted to learn how to use an entrenching tool as a weapon and how to fight from the ground if I were down. So, we covered that.

What do you see with the people rioting? They carry umbrellas and trash can lids.

What do you see with indigents in LA? Sharpened, discarded screwdrivers.

What do you see in third world countries? People using harvesting devices (kukri knife/sickles/machetes/sticks/chains).

And, the strikes, if properly done, are ergonomically correct and easy to deliver.

What do you see in real fights on youtube? People not understanding that H2H combat is tiring and contacts are over in seconds. You see people damaging their knuckles hitting people on the head when they would have no injury if they grabbed a pen, a book, or a magnifying glass like on my work bench.