Cold Steel SF Shovel

A section for knives, axes, multi-tools and all things blades.
xxo

Cold Steel SF Shovel

Post by xxo »

The P38 can opener may be the US Army’s greatest invention, but I think the MPL-50 shovel is got to be the Red Army’s greatest (OK it was actually based on a Danish design from the late 1860’s, but it is an outstanding bit of kit, even if the Russians didn’t really invent it).

These are great Etools, they may not fold but they don’t break easy either (unless you start throwing them) and can be used as axe, hammer, prybar, as an improvised weapon (the soviets used them for riot control!), as a cleaver or even a machete – and the list goes on!

Lynn Thompson came out with his own version that is very similar to the MPL-50 except that is made of heavier gage steel – probably my favorite Cold Steel product and I am a Cold Steel fan.

These are great to have in a vehicle for emergencies. The edges can be sharpened to cut like a knife and Cold Steel shovel chops wood as well as most hatchets, even with a fairly dull edge.

Some really good vids on the Cold steel shovel:

And a vid on the history of the MPL-50:

Lynn and the Cold Steel boys having some fun:

David
Administrator

Re: Cold Steel SF Shovel

Post by David »

I like Cold Steel products. Used to have a bunch of different knives from them. Still have a few. Which I still had my SRK knife.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".