Sig thread

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Sig thread

Post by David »

Well, we have a Glock thread so I figured it was fitting to start a Sig Sauer thread.

I have three Sigs currently, all are P365's.

Initially I was very critical of the P365 due to the issues that were reported by many sources. I like to wait a least a year on any new platform before getting it to make sure any potential bugs were worked out. In this case that position was justified imo. The firing pin looks to have gone through three different revisions and some other parts were revised/upgraded as well. It looks like since last summer (for the most part) things have been fine with the pistol.

Initially, I carried a G26.4 off-duty. Was my go-to for years and I still have it. Got a great deal and paid $400 for a Gen 4 that was 6 months old with new Trijicon HD night sights and four mags. I preferred to carry with a G19 mag and an Xgrip.

However, as small as the G26 is, it is still large and thick enough that at the end of a hot Florida summer day I was ready to take it off! I found myself carrying my LC9s a lot more just due to comfort. Enter the P365. Even a bit smaller than the LC9s it has impressive capacity options of 10, 12 and 15 rounds. Standard with Xray night sights and feels good in the hand, side or even pocket. This became my off-duty carry since last Spring.

I have a regular black version (the one I carry), an NRA Special Edition in coyote tan and a silver over black two-tone version I gave to my son. I've grown quite fond of this pistol and I almost forget I'm wearing it.

I normally carry with a 12-round mag and a 12-round mag as my spare. Currently I carry a spare 1-round mag in my EDC sling bag but I may swap this out for one of the two 15-round mags I purchased last year. Aesthetically, Sig could have done a better job on the OEM 15-round mags but functionally they work just fine.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Sig

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've never been a Sig fan. I've owned several over the last 20 years, but they never suited me. The 22X series has a pretty bad DA/SA trigger and a very high bore axis. I never liked how they constantly changed their models just enough that holsters weren't interchangeable. Sig fans who wanted to get different variations of the 226 would be stuck buying more gear too. Speaking of changes, they really love to bring out special variations that are basically a different colorway.
I was excited about the 320 because I prefer a striker gun. After owning one for a while, I realized that they screwed it up pretty badly by making it to take 250 frames. They had warehouses full of 250 parts, because it was a total failure, so they designed the 320 to use them. Sadly that made a striker gun with the super high bore axis of the DA 250.
I will admit that the 365 impresses me. Once they got the bugs worked out, it became the premier subcompact available. 5-6 of my friends have them and I've been able to shoot them quite a bit. Great trigger, great sights, super small and great capacity. It's the only Sig I'd really consider buying currently.
SIGShooter

Post by SIGShooter »

My 220 and 226 fit the same holsters so I'm not sure why yours didn't. They're older ones (stamped metal) so maybe something changed with later ones? Their DA/SA are fine but my 229 trigger is not nearly as good.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

SIGShooter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 pm My 220 and 226 fit the same holsters so I'm not sure why yours didn't. They're older ones (stamped metal) so maybe something changed with later ones?
same here
You can't fix stupid !
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I liked the P250 I had in .45acp. The installation of the rear night sight was different from any other that I've done before, but doable. I kinda wish I had hung on to that one. The DA trigger pull was very smooth and overall I enjoyed the pistol.

I liked the P320 I had but not enough to keep it. It was fine and I liked several aspects of the design (like the P250). I liked the ability to change size and color of the grip frame module. I like the cut outs on the side of the mag well for malfunction drills. And I liked the ability to change the FCU to another frame/slide. But in the end I traded off the P320 for something else.

My buddy has a P224 in .40 that he had to send back to Sig. Wasn't feeding correctly. They changed out all the springs. He hasn't tested it out yet since he got it back.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

Back to the OP,

I just last Oct purchased the P365. I agree it is about the best carry firearm I have. Small, light, I use the 12 round magazines. it is the best of the best IMO. I was shocked at how good the night sites are, as someone that carried the VP9 for the last 4 years, these are head and shoulders above the tritium sites HK uses.

My only complaint is a minor one, but it comes from the compromise, of size and weight. After the second box of ammo it becomes less and less fun to shoot.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:41 pm Back to the OP,

I just last Oct purchased the P365. I agree it is about the best carry firearm I have. Small, light, I use the 12 round magazines. it is the best of the best IMO. I was shocked at how good the night sites are, as someone that carried the VP9 for the last 4 years, these are head and shoulders above the tritium sites HK uses.

My only complaint is a minor one, but it comes from the compromise, of size and weight. After the second box of ammo it becomes less and less fun to shoot.
I really liked the G26, and carried it for years. But yeah, the P365 is the bees-knees! That 12-round magazine is the sweet spot for me as well. And although I think Sig could have done a better job on the aesthetics of the 15-round mag base plate...it works. So much so that I purchased two of them when they were on sale.

I would still like to add a manual thumb safety to two of mine. But those parts sell out in minutes...literally. I'm on the 'notify' list for the three parts and within 30 minutes of notification that they're available there back out of stock. Sig is really missing out on this part of the market. Although not everyone wants a manual thumb safety, in talking with Sig twice last year on the phone, they have been inundated with calls for parts.

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

David wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 pm

I would still like to add a manual thumb safety to two of mine. But those parts sell out in minutes...literally. I'm on the 'notify' list for the three parts and within 30 minutes of notification that they're available there back out of stock. Sig is really missing out on this part of the market. Although not everyone wants a manual thumb safety, in talking with Sig twice last year on the phone, they have been inundated with calls for parts.
I am good without the safety.

Again it is a personal preference and just like cars, cigars, whiskey, and well you get the idea. Where was I going with this again?
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I've been considering carrying my P365 NRA Special Edition in coyote tan rather than my regular black P365. Just because. I've really grown to like that coyote tan color on both my P365 and 19X. Personal preference I suppose. Kinda be nice to have a change after all these decades of carrying a 'black' pistol.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Been thinking about the P365XL. A buddy of mine had one and I got the chance to handle it during the required after shift show-n-tell. Felt great and I couldn’t find a drawback on it.